Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,301   Posts: 1,536,171   Online: 711

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowcat View Post
    Last year got a durst M605 for a friends daughter who is doing A level photography.
    Hey, it's one thing to trade gear for an ex-wife, but I think that trading gear for a friend's child is really out of bounds.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 1SharpMonkey View Post
    Is she hot? :o
    Lets put it this way.

When we got married she was 5'2" and weighed 115 pounds.

When I became at free agent after 24 years she was 5'2" and weighed 185 pounds.

When she got remarried she was 5'2" and weighed 265 pounds.

I think that should answer that question.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What about knowledgeable people who take advantage or less informed folks?Example:Last summer an elderly lady dropped into my local camera shop early one Saturday morning.She had a tattered camera case and kindly asked the manager if her husbands (deceased) old camera was worth cleaning up.
    A minty Leica with German eagle stamp and great,but dusty,Summaron (?) lens.A souvenir her husband brought home from WII (no knockoff).We all freaked.What a nice camera.She mentioned that a camera store in Halifax,N.S had offered her $30.00 for this old "beater".
    What nerve.What smagheads.We sent her on her way with the proper information and a clean Leica.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thrift stores are one rung on the ladder below yard sales. The stuff that doesn't sell at the yard sales gets carted off to the thrift store. So, for the most part, the stuff is pretty suspect when it arrives. Then, let it hang around on the shelves for a while for clueless "customers" to play around with and break, and, well, I guess one just shouldn't expect too much. Still doesn't hurt to look around, though. If I'm feeling bored and don't have anything better to do.

There's a thrift store about a block from my house. My wife loves the place, cuz she finds clothes there with tags still on for maybe a couple of bucks per item. Found me a really nice leather jacket that is now my favorite motorcycle jacket. It cost $40, but was at least $200 new. Great shape, too. While waiting for her one day, I looked through every non-clothing item they had there. No photo gear. They had a busted HP scanner though that would prolly sell in working condition on eBay for $20. Maybe. I found a five-CD set of the Pimsleur method for Chinese, though. That was a good deal for $5. (I paid over $200 for a Pimsleur method Chinese course on cassette about fifteen years ago). Still don't speak Chinese very well, but it isn't for a lack of instructional materials. But no photo gear, unless busted old Polaroid cameras count.

Best,
    Michael

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My problem isn't so much with broken cameras, as overpriced cameras. For example, I saw a Minolta SRT-101 that looked nice, but the lens was worthless, and I couldn't test the meter. Price? $45! I asked the manager, and she said all prices were final. It will be a sad day when it get's thrown in the garbage because it's "an old clunker nobody wants."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have also scored on three Canon Sureshot 35mm cameras. These are great simple point and shoots from the 1990s that seem to have very decent lenses at the wide end (38mm, I believe). Considering tax, I probably spent a little over $10 on all three of them.

With one of them (the one I found in a thrift shop in Lincoln Park, MI on my recent trip to Detroit), the matching case was on the shelf, but priced separately. The camera was $3 and the case was $3, but they refused to put the two together for $5. Oh well. I just bought the camera, and now they have a case that will sit on the shelf for god knows how long.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin