Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,545,983   Online: 1059

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

What is it with people who...

...give broken cameras to thrift stores to give away???

I picked up a couple of cameras the other day from one store, one camera just needs new light seals, but the other one had some sort of internal electrical short - I purchased a new battery for it at vast expense, and when I plugged the battery and screwed the cover on I noticed there was nothing on the display. Hmmm.. Quick, take the battery out! Oops, almost too late, battery too hot to touch! Quick, wrap it in something to contain the explosion :-)

No explosion but you get the idea.

The other one that annoyed me was yesterday when I went to another store, they had a Oly Trip 35 on display. Oooh, I said and grabbed it. Hmm, first I notice the aperture ring is loose, then I notice the whole lens is loose, then I notice one lonely blade of the (shutter?) hanging in the breeze behind the lens. "This one's broken" I say, to incredulous looks.. "We thought it was a good one" they say...

So what is it about people who give non-functional cameras to thrift stores? Isn't that a pretty nasty thing to do to people??

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    if they know it is functioning it is terrible. Many times people give these away when cleaning out homes from a "lost member" of the family and are clueless. It would be nice if someone at the thrift store knew something about cameras, but since in these times there are camera stores that have people working for them that know very little about film cameras if any ; it is unlikely.
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Maybe they think someone shopping at a thrift store would pay to have it repaired? Which, I have to admit, doesn't really make much sense, given why people shop at thrift stores and the kinds of things you're likely to find there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I figure on clueless personally

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My local thrift store is the Salvation Army.When I purchase a camera from them I have 24 hrs. to return it for refund if it's D.O.A. I figure it's a roll of the dice.Sometimes I get a nice shooter and other times a dud,BUT,I don't return them.Figure the few dollars I'm out (5-10) are my way to give to the community.
    The Sally Ann does some fine work with folks who are down on their luck or are in need of a hand up to start over.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I'm still getting to grips with people that stand two abreast blocking the way on an escalator going down...
    Cleared the bowel problem, working on the consonants...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have more important things to be concerned about in my life.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't know, I sort of assume anything in a thrift store is suspect, sold as-is, and what you see is what you get, especially if it's a camera body for $5. I've considered giving away some of my non-functional stuff with the belief that someone might want it for parts, or know how to repair it, or want a 'camera' for a prop in a play, or whatever. So I don't think you're necessarily dealing with people being 'nasty'. Now if they're passing it off (and pricing it) as if it works that's a whole other story.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bsdunek View Post
    I have more important things to be concerned about in my life.
    Good to know.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I figure anything in a thrift store may or may not work. At least I can personally examine it and come to sort of conclusion if it's worth the chance. I would feel a lot more confident doing that than buying something on the famous on-line auction site where you read things like "It worked fine the last time I used it" or the famous "I don't know much about cameras, but ..."

Dave

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin