Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,760   Posts: 1,516,065   Online: 830

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Shutter curtain damage Canon EOS 3

I just bought a second hand Canon EOS 3 without having the chance to inspect it first. The body itself is in excellent (near new) condition. On opening the film compartment I noticed that there is some damage to the shutter curtain. As this is my first film SLR I am not sure how bad the damage is and whether it will affect the operation of the camera.

I have asked the seller why they did not disclose the fact that the shutter curtain was damaged. They have responded saying that they were not aware of the damage and that it must have occurred during shipping. I highly doubt this as the camera was relatively well packed in it's original box with padding around it, inside another cardboard box which shows no damage at all.

Could someone enlighten me about how bad the damage is and how I would test it? I do not have any film on hand at present.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails _MG_6818.jpg   _MG_6819.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Looks bad to me. I'm not an expert, but I don't see how a shutter curtain inside a camera could be damaged without some damage to the outside.......... :rolleyes:

bill
    "Nobody is perfect! But even among those that are perfect, some are more perfect than others." Walt Sewell 1947

Shooter
    35mm
    To me, it looks like the curtain was stuck, the previous owner used an ink pen tip to try to free it and damaged it, and pawned it off on you. It was a lie that it was damaged in shipping (unless the back of the camera was off or open during shipping). You need to get your money back, (which I doubt will happen without a fight).
    Dann Fassnacht
    Aberdeen, WA USA

glockman99@hotmail.com
    -------------------------------------
    My film cameras are all Nikons: F3HP, F4s, N90s, N8008, N8008s.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    This shutter has to be replaced.

This damage due to shipping ? BULL !

Normaly the shutter is protected in the front by the mirror and in the back by the film pressure plate.
    The previous owner must have damaged it himself.

Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would return it for a refund, if possible.
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    Multi Format
    One reason why I include a photograph of the camera with an open back when I list on eBay. Extra confidence for the buyer!
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not to nitpick (well, I guess to nitpick), but that's a blade shutter, not a curtain shutter. Anyhow, I concur that it is impossible that the damage could have occurred during shipping (unless, of course there is also extensive damage--gaping hole--to the camera body and shipping carton, indicating that an object penetrated it and stabbed that shutter).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you bought it on ebay I would lodge a dispute asap and inform the seller the item is being returned..the shutter would need a complete replacement...not cheap. K
    Kal Khogali

www.kal-khogali.com

Visit my Photo Scrap Book

www.shutteringeye.wordpress.com

"Wake up, dream, and photograph what you have seen.
    Don't wake up, photograph, and dream of what could have been."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, Bull. The seller is at least ignorant and most likely a liar.
    Return it and leave accurate feedback.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Large Format
    That damage was caused by someone’s finger. The seller was perfectly aware of the damage and was relieved to unload his or her problem onto you. The shutter must be replaced. Get an estimate from Essex Camera Repair, Carlstadt, NJ. You can find them via Google. I’m sure the repair is well over $100 not counting the shipping and insurance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin