Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,546   Posts: 1,572,895   Online: 998

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    CuS

Shooter
    35mm

Camera for a Kid - Nikon L35AF

I am desperately trying to get my kids bitten by teh shutter bug (the film shutterbug).

I presented my 12-year old with a AE-1 and 50/1.8 (both with thier own SN-matches original packaging) and also want to get my soon-to-be 8-year old a film camera too.

To that end, I procurred a very nice and fully functional Nikon L35AF (cute little thing). Its got autofocus, flash, exposure compensation and manuall ISO setting of 50 to 1000. Its lens is also supposed to be good performer.

Its far more automatic than I would like, but I don't want to over-burden him with too many complications just yet.

Any opinions on my choice?

Cheers!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    No opinions but you have just reminded me that I also have a Nikon L35AF which I had forgotten about. I haven't even put a roll of film through it yet!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

CuS

Shooter
    35mm
    Too funny - I am going to have to take it out foir a walk before I gift it.

Just to test it out, just to make sure.

wink, wink.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Great little camera.Bit of a battery eater under low light,but more fun that a sack full of monkies.

Mike

CuS

Shooter
    35mm
    I had heard it was batter hungry - guess i'll just keep a cache of AAs handy.

Thanks!

CuS

Shooter
    35mm
    Has anyone every used one on a regular basis - any other issues to be aware of?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I recently acquired a Nikon Action Touch, which is as I understand it, essentially a waterproof version of the L35AF. Only on my second roll of film, but it's been a very reliable sidekick including four shots immersed in water.

Coincidentally, my nephew is turning 9 and I wanted to try to get him an Action Touch of his own, but I'm low on time and not sure if I'm going to be able to manage it. I think the full automation is actually a good thing for a kid of that age. We do want to be encouraging, not discouraging.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yea,some basic instruction and lots of film (I'd look for discount or expired stuff).

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by CuS View Post
    I am desperately trying to get my kids bitten by teh shutter bug (the film shutterbug).

I presented my 12-year old with a AE-1 and 50/1.8 (both with thier own SN-matches original packaging) and also want to get my soon-to-be 8-year old a film camera too.

To that end, I procurred a very nice and fully functional Nikon L35AF (cute little thing). Its got autofocus, flash, exposure compensation and manuall ISO setting of 50 to 1000. Its lens is also supposed to be good performer.

Its far more automatic than I would like, but I don't want to over-burden him with too many complications just yet.

Any opinions on my choice?

Cheers!

Well mine is similar L35AD and a good P&S..... and the lens? in my test just under an excellent SLR lens. Got mine for 50p at a boot sale (all metal one) but have seen plastic ones going for £1.
    In the original file I can just read the plaque when enlarged:-

Nikon L35AD
    http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/n...ata/img344.jpg
    Last edited by Excalibur2; 08-24-2009 at 02:00 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: more info

CuS

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur2 View Post
    Well mine is similar L35AD and a good P&S..... and the lens? in my test just under an excellent SLR lens. Got mine for 50p at a boot sale (all metal one) but have seen plastic ones going for £1.
    In the original file I can just read the plaque when enlarged:-

Nikon L35AD
    http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/n...ata/img344.jpg
    That is a sweet shot! Thanks! I'll post some of my kids' first film shots

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin