Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,851   Posts: 1,582,860   Online: 833

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Holga
    Images

Vivitar series 1...

just ordered a lens for the nikon. it's a 70-210 f3.5 vivitar series 1 AI. i had read that there were five version, version one through three having exceptional optics and the latter two not so much. so, looking over my order i noticed that the one coming my way is 67mm which i now understand to be the first version. considering i only paid $17 i figure there's a piece to this puzzle that's missing. is this lens really a turd? if it is i'm fine with that, i wasn't expecting much for $17, and really it was an impulse buy.

chime in if you have experience.

thanks guys, you're the best.
    Last edited by BimmerJake; 08-25-2009 at 09:02 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: clarification of info :)
    -Jake

Photography by the seat of my pants.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    A friend had that lens in Minolta mount. It was big, heavy; and really sharp.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Holga
    Images
    heavy indeed, i think i read it's just over 2 lbs.!!
    -Jake

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerJake View Post
    just ordered a lens for the nikon. it's a 70-210 f3.5 vivitar series 1 AI. i had read that there were five version, version one through three having exceptional optics and the latter two not so much. so, looking over my order i noticed that the one coming my way is 67mm which i now understand to be the first version. considering i only paid $17 i figure there's a piece to this puzzle that's missing. is this lens really a turd? if it is i'm fine with that, i wasn't expecting much for $17, and really it was an impulse buy.

chime in if you have experience.

thanks guys, you're the best.
    If this lens has a serial number beginning with "22" or "37", you have a great lens, provided it wasn't screwed up by a previous owner. Version 1, which is the one I have, was made by Kiron back in the mid to late '70s, I think. The serial number for this lens starts with "22", and the filter size is 67mm. Version 2 was made by Tokina and it is also supposed be a real good lens. The serial number starts with "37" and I think that the filter size is 62mm.
    When the chips are down,

The buffalo is empty!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I first used one of these on my Nikons at work in the mid '70's and was so impressed that I now own one in M42 and one in Konica. Only drawback is that they are heavy. Now that I'm getting old, I'm considering drilling holes in 'em to reduce weight.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've got a Series 1 zoom, 100-300mm, f:5. Serial number begins with 37. I love it. It is mated to an old Nikon F body, along with a sports finder. It is a heavy lens, but sometimes a bazooka is what you need.

Shooter
    Multi Format

The list of makers.

Who made this Vivitar?
    Dang! It won't upload my file.
    Goggle the question "Who..............Vivitar" to find out which company made your V. lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had the S1 70-210 f3.5 unfortunately it was stolen back in the early 80's but as others say it was an outstanding lens, I replaced it with the f2.8 model which I still have and that's equally as good.

Ian

Shooter
    Holga
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kennedy View Post
    Who made this Vivitar?
    Dang! It won't upload my file.
    Goggle the question "Who..............Vivitar" to find out which company made your V. lens.
    well, i can't confirm until it arrives, but here's what i know (assuming that keh.com's description was accurate).

it's f/3.5 which narrows it down to either version 1 or 2 (the others are f/2.8)
    it has a 67mm filter ring, if this is accurate it points to version 1

version 1 was manufactured by kiron (this is also assuming the info online is accurate), it's a 15 element/10 group, 2 lb beast.

when it arrives i'll confirm all the assumptions
    -Jake

Shooter
    Multi Format

When in doubt..............go analog.

Wrote out the list.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails VIVITAR.jpg  

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin