Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,972   Posts: 1,558,670   Online: 987

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The simpler the better as far as I'm concerned. I've always owned and used Gossen but, I'm pretty sure the Sekonic meters are just as good. My most used hand held is probably the Gossen Luna Pro digital. It is a modern wonder....it is extrememly accurate and does everything you could possibly need / want.

Shooter
    35mm
    I like mine old school, I use a Weston Master III Universal Exposure Meter.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Me too

Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    I have two that I use regularly.

I've used my Gossen Profisix (Luna Pro SBC in the US) for years. I have the flash metering accessory, which I have used a lot, and an older enlarging meter accessory, that I've used rarely. There is also a spot meter attachment, which I don't have.

The Profisix is a great meter for reflected, incident or flash operation. Apparently the spot meter accessory is also useful.

The Profisix is, however, fairly large and therefore there are times I'm reluctant to take it with me.

To deal with that, I've recently purchased a Gossen Digiflash. It isn't quite as convenient in operation as the Profisix, but it is very convenient to transport, and it is accurate and flexible.

Matt
    I have a Profisix too Matt, because it's so large I put it into semi-retirement and bought a Gossen Digipro F which is just as accurate but much quicker and more convenient to use, is also a flash meter, and is powered with a single AA battery you can get anywhere.
    I'm very impressed with the Digipro F and would recommend it, and if you don't need the flash facility the Gossen Sixomat Digital is very similar but without flash metering.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 08-27-2009 at 04:08 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    whatever brand I don't have a recommendation, I own a few Minolta's though but they don't make meters any more. Kenko seems to make the same things now. What I would recocommend is to get the top of the line of any brand (Sekonic, Gossen, Kinko) then you'll be ok.

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm old school as well I use a Weston Euromaster

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I am very old school! As of now, When I don't want to use the lightmeters in my SLR's, I use my grandfathers General Electric DW-68. The values shown on it are from before they standardized ASA values. So I took out the card that had the GE numbers and made my own ASA number value line for it. It is pretty accurate! As much as I love it, I am still looking for a more modern meter.
    My weapons consist of 11 cameras. And counting... Be afraid.

We are the makers of music, The dreamers of dreams.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lilmsmaggie View Post
    I realize that this topic has probably been beat to death, but as a novice, I just had to ask. I'm taking another digital class this semester, and trying to get into a 35mm film photography class. The latter is a prerequiste for a large format class that I eventually hope to take. Any way, I know I will need to obtain a light meter at some point.

I'm assuming that whatever model I end up with, it should be multifunctional e.g. be able to measure, incident, relected, flash, etc.

Problem is: which model/brand? Sekonic vs. Gossen vs. ?? Analog vs. Digital

Is this a personal preference, one of those brand loyalty choices, or All the above?
    Find a friend that has one, and play with theirs. If you don't have a friend with one, find a local camera shop that will let you play around with one in the store. Nothing beats hands on experience before you buy.

By the way, the Sekonic L-358 seems to have a cult following.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    For what it is worth, I've found myself using it a few ways. First, I like the analog displays. Easier to visualze where I am in range of light that way. Next, I use incident metering 75% of time in typical situations. But being able to 'spot' meter is important too for following reason and I hope it is a valid one to you too. When I have high contrast scenes where I am concerned about value placement, it's helpful if the subject image allows it, to spot meter the highest and lowest values and then see how that lines up in terms of range. If I just went off of incident, it may get 'weighted' to one end or the other. But having spot allows me to decide whether or not that incident reading is representative of where I want to place my values or if I need to shift things a bit. So therefore, having both is important to me for that reason. I have a vintage Gossen Luna Pro so I assume new models ALL have incident AND spot, but wanted to share my reasoning for desiring both. Cheers.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sorensen View Post
    From what I know, there is not really a good solution the includes flash metering and spot metering, [...]
    That would be Sekonic L758-DR.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    ^^^ Ooh... me wants me precious!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin