Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,693   Posts: 1,482,478   Online: 985

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Anybody using Amvona tripod?

Wondering what users think of these tripods? Like many, I have bought the wrong tripod more than once and would like to know what others think of these favorably priced units. Bill Barber

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I bought a horizontal copy arm with four camera mounts, so you can use it to mount more than one camera on a tripod as well as for copy work, and for the price (something like $25) it's okay, but I wouldn't buy anything else from them. It's kind of flimsy.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have one. I lost a couple of screws when I first got it and have a devil of a time to get them to send replacements to me. They did and I have had not problems. Note: they are not set up to easily send replacement parts.

The tripod and the bag are will designed and well built although it gains weight the longer it is carried on the hike. If you are going to take the tripod on a hike, consider getting one with carbon fiber legs.

If you do not want to make a mistake and buy the wrong tripod:

1. Select the tripod that can easily handle your camera with the heaviest lens you think you will ever own.
    2. Select the tripod head features that you want, not was looks ok based on impulse.
    3. Think about the choice for a day or two.
    4. Buy the tripod.
    5. Do not beat yourself up later.
    6. If then you feel that you did not buy the right tripod, please remember that the economy will not recover unless you stimulate the economy. Therefore go back to step 1 and repeat the process as often as necessary.

I did my part in stimulating the economy by buying a Hasselblad 903 SWC. Now do you part, please!

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Amvona is no name stuff that someone decided to slap a name on...literally. The stuff smells of stuff that is mass produced by companies paying their labor crap per day with no benefits and probably unsafe factory conditions, then sold in bulk to companies like "Amvona", and finally labeled as if they were actually a company that makes photo equipment, when in fact, they are just a reseller.

I was given a bag years ago. It is OK. It broke almost immediately, but I tied the strap. It works. In fact, it is one of my normally circulated camera bags, so I use it quite a bit. I would not actually pay for it, however, and I would certainly not even try something like a tripod. There is a big difference between a bag and a tripod. Quality matters a lot more with the latter.

These are general statements. There might be a decent product here or there, but in general, I would say a used tripod from a reputable company is a better choice when it comes to getting a deal.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 08-26-2009 at 07:52 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have an Amvona Tripod with a "pistol grip" type head, an Amvona ballhead that I use on a smaller, more portable tripod and a largish Amvona bag.

All three were bought through eBay auctions. I paid relatively little for each of them. I think that they are worth more than I paid for them, but are worth less than some of the top quality brands.

I like the fact that both of my tripod heads use the same quick release plates, and that extra quick release plates were inexpensive, but dislike how difficult it was to actually order those extra plates at the same time as the tripod/ballhead orders (to save on shipping).

Their customer service staff were seemingly overwhelmed when I dealt with them about two years ago.

To date, everything has worked well except one quick release plate, which had part of the tightening knob break.

I would buy from them again, if I could get an appropriate price.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Like Matt, I brought mine on an eBay auction at a minimal price. Later I ordered extra quick release plates.

I would buy from them again, but I would get a lighter weight model.

If I used a tripod extensively or bought an LF camera, then I would buy a tripod from one of the premier tripod manufacturers.

YMMV

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    i almost got a job working for them years ago.
    boy am i glad i didn't.
    their stuff isn't what i would pay $$ for,
    and their sales and support staff is less than knowledgeable
    about the products they sell ... it took a few weeks and
    a dozen email through their support system to let me know something
    wouldn't fit a flash head i have ( speed ring for one of their light boxes ) ...
    it doesn't surprise me that steve has had the trouble he has had
    getting replacement parts ..

i guess it is hit or miss about quality ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I bought a four section leg set via ePrey a year or so back. It's a carbon fiber unit rated for 17 pounds and carries a "DynaTran" label. With the smallest leg sections extended, it's not all that solid, but with just the three larger ones used, it's pretty respectable. With the Bronica and WLF, three sections is more than enough height. I got it for about $65 plus shipping at auction; at that it was a good deal. I've since seen them asking about four times that amount in their "store." I use Bogen/Manfrotto QR heads on it, originally a ball head, more recently a three axis pan.

It would be true but not particularly meaningful to say "It's the best tripod I've ever owned."

DaveT

Shooter
    35mm

Amvona is a disaster

A carbon fibre tripod for under $200. Seemed like a good deal until the quick release dropped a Canon 7d and lens onto concrete. Cost of camera and lens $2400. Now the tripod has cost me $2600. Even my Gitzo was not that expensive . This head has no model # just the name Amvona.com/wholesale. The quick release plate is sloppy and loose when latched. Showed it to a service tech who said it was worst piece of junk disguised as a tripod head. Amvona is garbage in my view.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    incase you folks hadn't realized this ..
    amvona is no longer selling photo equipment.
    they sold all their overstock (?) to henry's a year or more ago ...
    and have continued on with their social networking thing ...
    they were doing social networking long before other folks knew what it was ...
    and it seems they were ahead of the curve when it came to outsourcing the manufacture
    of their photo equipment ( they designed ) to the far east ...

if you go here --->>> http://www.amvona.com/about.html
    you can understand why they don't / didn't sell replacement parts

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin