Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,220   Posts: 1,532,311   Online: 904

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Canon EOS 630

Shooter
    35mm
    I have a 7e, and its REALLY quiet. I remember a while ago stumbling onto a brochure for the elan 7/7e at a camera store I was working for at the time, and the brochure claimed that the 7/7e were the quietest SLR's available at the time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The EOS 630 is quite old now, first released in April 1989 in both plain and quartz date back versions.

Interestingly, it is the first EOS body to feature custom functions where small details like leaving the film leader in or out of the cassette for ease of reloading can be selected (of course, this feature is best if you have established safety protocols in place to prevent double exposing an incomplete roll!). Like following EOS bodies, the PIC mode (program image control) allows unfamiliar users to get quite good results without too much effort (but hey, creative photography does require effort, physically and mentally!). One pointy gripe is that many photographers of the time found the controls fiddly and difficult to operate, so this might take you a bit more time to get accustomed to. The EOS EF-M or EOS 5 are better bodies with easier controls, with the ever-popular EOS 5 sitting below the venerated EOS 1 and later 1N pro bodies.

Read up on features: http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography.../630/index.htm

.:: Garyh (2006-2008 Tech Moderator, mir.com.my EOS messageboard).
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cooltouch View Post
    The EOS 630 is a 20-year-old design. There are other EOSes of a much more recent vintage that can be had for a veritable song (ex: Elan IIe's can be had for $50 or less), so unless the 630 was in great condition and being offered for dirt cheap, if it were me, I'd pass.
    Best,
    Michael
    I have both: Elan 2 and a EOS 630.

My first Elan2 (EOS50) used to underexpose colour negative film by about 1/2e.v., so I always had EC fixed at +0.5. However, it has a "silly" little plastic hook to fasten the rear door, and this simply snapped off (unrepairable) after about 12 months. I now have this body for spares and bought another Elan2 (cheap enough) as a replacement.

Overall, light and pleasant to use (but lots of plastic).

The EOS630 is a real classic. I understand the body, though "plastic coated" is actually metal. A pleasureto use (almost a point and shoot in "programme" mode, but can be used in aperture or shutter priority mode. I like it. The on-board metering gives very reliable results. The only thing to watch out for is a degradation of the shutter bumper rubber (this shows up as a dark slick across the shutter blades) which, eventually, causes the shutter to stick. It can be repaired but....? (This can also be a potential problem with the Elan2)

Both are good, both take EF USM lenses.

Both give you very cheap (as compared to a DSLR) "full-frame" shooting!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I was given one for free by an uncle but unfortunately there was residue (very common problem) on the shutter that rendered the camera useless at normal shutter speeds.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It is possible (I have read on the web) gently to remove this residue using cotton buds soaked in a solvent. It is due to smearing from the degradation products of the rubber "shutter stop", which some pro repairers are able to replace after they have removed the mess.

(Of course, it may cost more to have it done professionally than the camera body is worth)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Galah View Post
    It is possible (I have read on the web) gently to remove this residue using cotton buds soaked in a solvent. It is due to smearing from the degradation products of the rubber "shutter stop", which some pro repairers are able to replace after they have removed the mess.

(Of course, it may cost more to have it done professionally than the camera body is worth)
    It seems to me that a big reason why these camera bodies aren't worth much used is specifically because of this tar problem. So then it stands to reason that if the problem is repaired, the camera's value should increase. And it seems only reasonable that the value should increase by the amount of the repair.

I mean, look, it's not as if these camera's features do not have intrinsic value. Most of them focus much faster than we can manually. Most have sophisticated metering systems. They all have built-in motordrives, and most have built-in flashes even. They remain very useful, quite sophisitcated machines. So, I would argue that, for cameras such as the 630, A2E, and Elan series, keeping them in good repair is worth it. Else, what is the alternative? Buy another used one (for cheap) that's about to develop the same problem?

-M

Shooter
    35mm
    What I remember about the 630 was that it had a function to maximize depth of field. You would point at one distance and then the other and when you fired the shutter the lens would close down enough to keep both subjects in focus.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm pretty sure Depth-of-Field AE has been a mainstay on just about all Canon SLRs since about the time of the 630, maybe even before. My Elans have it, as does my Canon DSLR, a lowly XS.

Michael

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I learned on a 630 and it is a fantastic camera. Only drawback is the plastic shutter that can get stuck over the years. if the shutter looks good, than pick it up for sure.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilipRingler View Post
    I learned on a 630 and it is a fantastic camera. Only drawback is the plastic shutter that can get stuck over the years. if the shutter looks good, than pick it up for sure.
    These are great cameras which are lovely to use and most certainly don't have a plastic shutter! However the oil appearing on the blades is becoming a really common problem.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin