Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,910   Posts: 1,556,189   Online: 1022

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canon EOS 630

Shooter
    Multi Format

Canon EOS 630

The opportunity just came up to buy a used Canon EOS 630 35mm. I don't know anything about this camera. But I do know that I could use my Canon EF lenses with it though.

Might be just the ticket with good glass vs. my Minolta X-700.

Any comments would be useful -- pass it up or grab it and run?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Wirelessly posted (BBBold: BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

If the price is right then grab it. My Mom had a 630 for years and I used it often. It's not exactly feature packed but it is a good AF step up from an X700. 'Course, I'm a Minolta guy and my XG1's would get jealous. ;p
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The EOS 630 is a 20-year-old design. There are other EOSes of a much more recent vintage that can be had for a veritable song (ex: Elan IIe's can be had for $50 or less), so unless the 630 was in great condition and being offered for dirt cheap, if it were me, I'd pass.

Best,
    Michael

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had a friend who had one and it was pretty good, solidly built and decent features. I do tend to agree with Michael, the price had better be really good, KEH has them for $19 in bargain condition. :o

Shooter
    Multi Format
    KEH also has a couple of decently priced Elan 7's. Aren't they supposed to be fairly quite as well as having a sturdier build?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Eh that should be quiet .. sorry

Shooter
    35mm
    The Elan 7 is about 15 years newer, has better metering, quieter, faster AF, as well as not having the issue with the shutter bumper. Their build is actually slightly worse, but not significantly. Personally, the only reason I'd go with a 630 over a 7, if they were similar in price is if I had a lot of lenses I wanted to use with adapters (the 7 has metering issues with adapted lenses; anything designed for EOS will be fine), or if I wanted to do many very long exposures, since the 630 doesn't draw battery power keeping its shutter open.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would look for oily shutter. Mine 650 has it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirb9 View Post
    The Elan 7 is about 15 years newer, has better metering, quieter, faster AF, as well as not having the issue with the shutter bumper.
    I actually found a Elan 7E in Mint condition with BP-300 for less than $200 at a local photography store. I couln't believe it - I mean this camera looked brand new! Even though there was no box or manual, I couldn't pass it up so I grabbed it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you're looking to save money, if you're looking for more features, then look elsewhere.

The 630 is a great camera. I have three, and had them all serviced. Not worth it economically, but I don't let that stop me. Built like a tank; built like a T90, actually, without a lot of features to get between you and your photography. Another great camera is the EOS RT, essentially a 630 with a pellicle mirror. I have two of those. Wonderful to shoot with.
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

I am beginning to resent being referred to as 'half-fast'.
    Whatever that's supposed to mean.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin