Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,492   Posts: 1,571,346   Online: 832

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have five Canon FD SLRs and I'm happy with the screen they all came with.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My Nikon N80 has gridlines that can go in or out at the touch of a button (there is almost like an LCD in the viewfinder). I like to use those to line things up but otherwise my Nikkormats have the focusing aid and rangefinder cameras a rangefinder and that's it for me.
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by EASmithV View Post
    Split image screen with fresnel in my Nikon F. Not only is it the only screen I own, but I like the ease of which I can focus. However, I sometimes wish that it was turned at a 45* angle, to make it easier to focus on things.
    Try the Nikon P or L screen (45° angle). I use them both, (one in my F2, the other in my FTN) and yes 100% easier to focus.

For my Hassy, the 1st generation Acute-Matte screen w/grid and split image.
    (Yes, yes I know... this is the 35mm domain... my bad )
    Last edited by Ira Rush; 08-31-2009 at 04:50 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'm using a standard screen with grid lines for my F2. I'd really like to get a hold of an H1 (as mentioned earlier it has a microprisim across the entire screen) since I figure this will allow quicker focusing for my street photography. Sadly, they don't seem to be very common; I've only come across one in San Jose CA and it was in poor condition for the price.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use the E screen (grid lines) in most of my Nikons. I use a P screen (focusing aids plus quadrant grid lines) in my F3HP. The lines really help me to avoid a problem I tend to have - crooked horizons.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    My OM focusing screen of choice for general shooting is one which as a center microprism with a coarse focusing ring surround.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by marcmarc View Post
    I'm using a standard screen with grid lines for my F2. I'd really like to get a hold of an H1 (as mentioned earlier it has a microprisim across the entire screen)
    Be sure you get the right "H"... Some wont focus (properly) with some lenses.

I have the H2, which is the most compatible with the lenses I have (and maybe in general). Check before buying!

An annoying thing is that you usually have to change the exposure compensation for each lens.
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'm using the plain matte with grid lines on my EOS3, I don't want to be annoyed by focusing aids (OK, I agree the AF does it for me, but I also use manual focusing when using a tripod, about 50% of the time) and the grid help composing and keeping this $*%# horizon line straight
    Laurent

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast (Oscar Wilde)

My APUG Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For my EOS 1N and 1NRS, plain matte screen with gridlines (for horizontal, vertical alignment) and 3.5% centre-spot, 2.3% fine spot rings; similar screen for my ancient EOS 5. All cameras are used with a right angle magnifier for critical focusing with manual focus TS-E lenses (where introducing tilt, shift or both causes gross derangement of any central microprism spot); I've found the split image microprism type screens very imprecise and distracting for critical work, and routinely disable the red superimposed AF points, mostly for their irritation. What you actually fancy in your camera will to a large degree depend on what type of work you do.

The Beattie Intensecreens were interesting for their extra stop or so of brightness, though prone to introducing exposure errors. They seem not to be available now.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    For manual focus (especially with old eyes like mine), a split prism rocks. I can focus on the subject directly and shoot or I can find both ends of the DOF I want in the scene and then set aperture and focus using the lens's DOF scale.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin