Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,960   Posts: 1,523,081   Online: 990

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikon Collector View Post
    But John, Who did they steal the designs from?
    As I recall, they purchased the first watchmaking equipment from the USA in the 1920s or 1930s and then later they purchased some more equipment from the French (I think this may have been around the 1950s) and then as time passed they developed their own equipment and built new factories. Wristwatches (mechanical ones) like cameras are all very similar in design.
    Jon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Goodman View Post
    As I recall, they purchased the first watchmaking equipment from the USA in the 1920s or 1930s and then later they purchased some more equipment from the French (I think this may have been around the 1950s) and then as time passed they developed their own equipment and built new factories. Wristwatches (mechanical ones) like cameras are all very similar in design.
    Jon
    The entire Hampden watch factory was packed up and moved to the USSR in 1930. http://www.pocketwatchrepair.com/histories/hampden.html

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    To my understanding it was typical for the young Soviet Union to buy complete plants in industrial fields the did not have yet experience with.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I think Mustafa should stop hemming around and tell us what he really thinks! For those who are satire deficient, that's one of them tongue in cheek statements. I applaud his attitude too. For too long Americans have gotten away w/ their delusions of "exceptionalism", which by itself is harmless and good for a laugh, and has managed to really annoy about 90% of the world. It's the disparaging of other more "primitive" (non western) cultures that is not acceptable, especially to those who happen to be a part of those cultures. The Soviets were able to do a heck of a lot w/ little technology, and that is a fact. As for who they stole the designs from, it was the same people Americans and Japanese stole their designs from. The Germans.

Getting back to the issue for a sec, you couldn't give me a Soviet camera if you held a gun to my head (or a Pinto for that matter, so there are apparently limits to our exceptional technology), but I WOULD pay for a good Soviet lens. I've owned some remarkably great ones. Yes, you do have to deal w/ QC control issues, but if you're willing to work on one, or send one out to be worked on, or plain get lucky, they will reward you w/ great images for little investment. Shoot, at least give the Soviets credit for being able to manufacture, w/ scant resources, some of the better lenses in photography, no matter where the design came from. As a nominal American (being born in the South gives one a different perspective to that moniker), I can say w/ some experience that I would rather shoot some old Soviet lens or other than be stuck w/ an Argus. The only cameras Kodak ever made that were any good were rebranded German Retinas anyway. He who lives in a country that cannot seem to manufacture even one decent camera anymore should not throw stones.
    Last edited by momus; 09-18-2013 at 09:42 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Misunderestimated??

Quote Originally Posted by momus
    For too long Americans have gotten away w/ their delusions of "exceptionalism", which by itself is harmless and good for a laugh, and has managed to really annoy about 90% of the world. It's the disparaging of other more "primitive" (non western) cultures that is not acceptable, especially to those who happen to be a part of those cultures.
    Says the man so proud of his home he doesn't mention it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinCrabtree View Post
    Misunderestimated??

Says the man so proud of his home he doesn't mention it.
    Nor do you mention yours. Momus mentions that he was "born in the south".

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Allow me to correct that.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Anscojohn View Post
    That Helios 44 is a Soviet copy of the Zeiss Biotar. A good sample can give outstanding results. I have several.
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double-Gauss_lens
    the Zeiss works lost their documentation when Dresden was torched so the Russians had no more design information than Canon had for their 5cm f/1.8 LTM
    the post 1982 lenses will have been derived from Mandlers type IV Summicron

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Xmas View Post
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double-Gauss_lens
    the Zeiss works lost their documentation when Dresden was torched so the Russians had no more design information than Canon had for their 5cm f/1.8 LTM
    the post 1982 lenses will have been derived from Mandlers type IV Summicron
    There's also the Mir 37/2.8, a Flektogon design and reputed to be very good. From what I've seen on the web, it is.
    One reason I've acquired a couple screwmount bodies is to play a bit with these lenses which I've been curious about for a while now.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by C A Sugg View Post
    I've got a Helios 44, unfortunately on a semi-functional "Start" SLR. By semi-functional, I mean that apparently the mirror rests at the wrong angle. It looks like it's adjustable. Any ideas on how to correct that?
    Charles
    Get a Pentax Spotmatic body and put the Helios 44 on it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin