Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,872   Posts: 1,583,510   Online: 979

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Checked the prices on the lens, it certainly can be had for a fair price.

I had one once, brand new. Camera broke first year and I learned the mechanism well. It was beyond my personal technological ability, but I could tell the innards were rough compared to other machines I was familiar with.

Meanwhile the lens, didn't have anything particularly wrong with it, but I didn't like it at the time. Too bad because now I see it for its pictorial capability, where before I just didn't like flare.

It might be taking me down the road of hypocrisy if I were to go and "replace" this lens of my childhood. Considering how much I hated it.

But it's a heck of a lot cheaper than the OM lenses being discussed elsewhere.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    in one of our brick camera shops there is a large wicker work basket with junk in it and any working zenith body minus lens is 5 GBP the Helius are already sold off for larger sums...

an ERC for the body also 5GBP

There is a current thread about the cost of Olympus OM1 lenses being unreasonable

I've removed fungus from one Helius for a chum. ditto a repair on a LTM J8 with 00xxxxx serial. The FSU lenses are maintainable...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    BTW, are there any good US made lens?

Shooter
    35mm
    The Soviets somehow managed to combine cameras of great solidity with appalling manufacturing tolerances. My uncle once brought back some rangefinders from a trip behind the wall. He was hoping to sell them on for a profit, as they were so cheap to buy. Knowing I was a photographer, he asked me what I thought. Brand new out of the box, they felt as though someone had filled them with sand and loosened every screw they could find at the same time. Rough doesn't begin to describe them. Domestic consumption cameras were even worse than export models.

Lenses were often of exemplary design if they were put together properly. I imagine the workers were 'under-motivated' to put it kindly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Endo View Post
    Yes: Bausch & Lomb are pretty good. I don't think they make camera lenses any more but they were good enough for Carl Zeiss to have a co-operative venture with them. Bestbeloved assures me that her Bausch & Lomb spotting scope is as good as they get.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Endo View Post
    Yes. Goerz New York, Kodak Ektars, Bausch & Lomb, Wollensak, Ilex; all made world class lenses, but unfortunately not for SLRs (Unless you count Graflexes!)
    There's a guy on feepay selling NOS coated 45mm Goerz Tessars in barrel, put one of these on an m42 focussing mount and you might have a dandy little lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Peltigera View Post
    Yes: Bausch & Lomb are pretty good. I don't think they make camera lenses any more but they were good enough for Carl Zeiss to have a co-operative venture with them. Bestbeloved assures me that her Bausch & Lomb spotting scope is as good as they get.
    Spencer Buffalo made microscopes and such, during WWII they made binoculars for the military. I have a coated pair of 7x50s that are just superb - even by today's standards. I also have a B&L spotting scope, and it is as good as they get.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Yes. Goerz New York, Kodak Ektars, Bausch & Lomb, Wollensak, Ilex; all made world class lenses, but unfortunately not for SLRs (Unless you count Graflexes!)
    There's a guy on feepay selling NOS coated 45mm Goerz Tessars in barrel, put one of these on an m42 focussing mount and you might have a dandy little lens.
    The Goerz lenses were German designs which puts Goerz New York in much the same position as the makers of the Helios lenses.

BTW, have you taken your moniker from the designer of Goerz's Dagor lens (Emile Von Hoegh) or is it co-incidence?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Peltigera View Post
    The Goerz lenses were German designs which puts Goerz New York in much the same position as the makers of the Helios lenses.
    BTW, have you taken your moniker from the designer of Goerz's Dagor lens (Emile Von Hoegh) or is it co-incidence?
    Not at all. Goerz N.Y. was originally the American office of the Berlin-Freidenau operation, they were seized as alien property when the U.S. entered WWI. At this time, virtually all lens designs were German or English.

No coincidence, I really am 148 years old as of last spring.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin