Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,934   Posts: 1,557,037   Online: 1243

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras

Get Me Started..

First a hello to all APUG members.

Well a long story short, im moving to film..

I own a 7D a a100 and an a350 with various Minolta glass and was recently looking to move to Full Frame digital. What can I say, my head hurts! after hours spent researching and testing some of these cameras i was not impressed to say the least, First by the prices! Secondly the fact that in maybe 1 month im going to be out dated and out done by the next model.
    This sickens me and i have decided to move to a market which i think would suit me better.

Now, I have always had a soft spot for film but have never known where to start,brace yourselves........ I have never shot film...
    I am looking for a nice 35mm camera I think the most important thing is it has to be fun to use, and from what I hear from film users most are.

I have been looking though these forums abit and the Nikon F5 seems like a very respectable camera and also has lots of features I might be familiar with, I think this era of camera would suit me better than going back to the likes of SRT's etc BUT I am welcoming all your suggestions.
    The fact that I own a-mount lenses need not come into this as I will be selling all my current gear (bar my a100 and 50 1.4) to fund my film purchase.

I am looking forward to your replies
    PS: it is so nice to find a camera forum that isnt one brand based and have all the "bitchyness" (Canon or nothing, 21 megapixels... is that it! etc etc) of some of the other forums (digital I might add) that I have been reading.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I like hearing stories about people switching to film from digital - Welcome to Apug !

Can't give you much help with choosing a 35mm although the F5 is a cracking camera if you want all those kind of feautures. The secondhand prices are very tempting at the moment too, in fact so are all film camera prices !

I'm more of a mechanical med/large format worker so tend to prefer these types of cameras but it really depends on the subjects you shoot.
    Whatever you get, enjoy it and take pride in being a 'pure' photographer !

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hi FruitRevolver,

Welcome to the darkroom side.

I actually like a little lighter camera than the F5.

An F100 or 2 would be a great choice in the modern range.

I own an FE2 that is ever so sweet. The "match needle" metering, aperture priority auto mode, and split prism focus make this my favorite camera.

I also own 4 N90s bodies that are great, and inexpensive. Having 4 allows me to have various films ready to use. There is very little that the modern cameras do better than this body. I use these bodies when auto-focus and balanced TTL flash become important.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Why do 35mm rather than medium format?

Are you going to be developing your own stuff? Printing?
    * Just because your eyes are closed, doesn't mean the lights in the darkroom are off. *
    * When the film you put in the camera is worth more than the camera you put the film in... *
    * When I started using 8x10, it amazed me how many shots were close to the car. *

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If you have "various Minolta glass", why buy a Nikon? You can get a Minolta Maxxum 9 for the same or less or even a 7 for about $200. My suggestion would be to go to KEH and buy a Maxxum 600si - "EX" for $53!!!!! - and if film turns out to be for you, invest more money.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have a Nikon F5 and paid good money for it when I bought it. I do like it but it's not any more fun than my other cameras, F3, FM, Minolta SRT's, Olympus OM2n etc... The price of the good used F5 is very good now. In fact a good condition Maxxum 9 would be more expensive than the F5 although the Maxxum 9 is a very good camera. I think it's in the same league as the F5. Which is better depends on you.
    Now as for which one is the most fun? I think it depends on you too. I found that the all manual, meterless cameras are the most fun to use.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    ...I also own 4 N90s bodies that are great, and inexpensive. Having 4 allows me to have various films ready to use. There is very little that the modern cameras do better than this body. I use these bodies when auto-focus and balanced TTL flash become important.
    If by any chance you ever feel that owning 4 N90s cameras are too many for you, I'd be interested in trading my Nikon FA & MD-15 motordrive for one. Shoot me an email if ever interested.
    Dann Fassnacht
    Aberdeen, WA USA

glockman99@hotmail.com
    -------------------------------------
    My film cameras are all Nikons: F3HP, F4s, N90s, N8008, N8008s.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Most 35mm cameras are good choices, you might look into medium format. BTW welcome to APUG!

Jeff

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The F5 has an impeccable reputation, but it's rather on the big and heavy side with its integrated extended grip and 8 AA-cell battery requirement. I considered the F5 when I was shopping for an AF body, but ultimately I went with an F100.

Haven't had my F100 for too long, but I've been pretty happy with it. Only downside in controls vs DSLRs is that the custom settings basically require a cheat sheet to set up since it's all number and letter codes. Most of these are things you'll set once and leave though, so it's not too much of a burden.

I've not owned any of the nicer N-series Nikons, but some of them have very solid reputations. They're not built as tough as an F100 or F5, but if you're not out to punish your gear in the jungles of Brazil, they're good values.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I probably would start with something modest and inexpensive. And because film cameras are inexpensive, compared with digital, you can try different brands without investing too much money. And most can be resold for roughly the price you paid, as the prices for used gear have more or less settled and don't move a whole lot, except for the occasional seller (or certain eBay sellers) who overprice their gear.

This way, you can try different cameras, figure out which one suits you best and then sell the ones that don't.

Camera bodies are very subjective, and what you might like in a camera might be very different from what someone else might like.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin