Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,657   Online: 752

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jcorll View Post
    Does anyone think that they will be developing a new mount? I am almost certain that they will work off of the existing Vivitar mounts. I think it would be a dumb move to try and develop a new mount. It's all about compatibility right?
    I believe the Vivitar cameras use the Pentax K-mount. At least the ones at my school do.

-Dan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    When you consider that a used Minolta X-570 or Nikon FG or FM can easily bought for $60-80 with a 50mm lens, and there are dozens of other similar used cameras out there and that those cameras are far superior - undoubtedly so if one put another $60 or so into a CLA, I simply wonder why?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Capitalizing on the name. There's a lot to be said for the label even if it were to be a $200 special.
    Kodak was never very successful at the high end market, but sure knew how to sell instamatics.

I know they had the Ektra and Medalist cameras that were sophisticated for their time, but they can't be called marketing successes.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    Capitalizing on the name. There's a lot to be said for the label even if it were to be a $200 special.
    Kodak was never very successful at the high end market, but sure knew how to sell instamatics.

I know they had the Ektra and Medalist cameras that were sophisticated for their time, but they can't be called marketing successes.
    What about their Graflex's and Recomar's and Retina's and their superb Canon & Nikon mount D***'s.

They can do it they just buy the company usually

Ian

Shooter
    35mm

New Kodak 35mm SLR

Yesterday I bought a Promaster 2500PK Super from an ebay seller for $19. This is one of the many Cosina-made SLRs but it has a few extra features. These are the pc flash socket (in addition to the hot shoe), a multiple exposure button and best of all a depth of field preview button. It's that last feature which was missing from the Pentax K1000 and which I think is very useful in explaining depth of field to students. At one time Kodak sold inexensive zoom lenses under the Kodak Gear name. They were made by Tamron and were sold in blister packs. Almost all of the parts other than the actual lens elements were made of plastic. As long as so many of the Cosina-made SLRs are floating around for such low prices I think the best Kodak could do is have Cosina make a camera for them. Even new, these cameras sell for about $169 with a lens. I now have a small collection of these Cosina-made SLRS which includes 5 Vivitars, two Yashicas, a Konica and the Promaster. The Olympus OM2000 had spot metering and the Nikon FE10 had aperture priority automation so these were probably the most sophistocated of the Cosinas. Even the 35-70 kit lens which came with the Vivitars isn't half bad.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    What about their Graflex's and Recomar's and Retina's and their superb Canon & Nikon mount D***'s.

Ian
    My thoughts too.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by darinwc View Post
    Somehow I dont think kodak is planning any amazing new film camera technology.
    We aren't looking for something new. What we need is some company to supply the next group of photographers with a decent SLR so the market for film use does not totally dry up. No new film shooters = no film at all in the long run.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The used market is fine for individuals inclined to research and shop around, but is a no-go for organizations (like photography departments at schools) that need a steady and reliable supply that can be called on with a minimum of fuss, or people who just want to be able to walk in, wave their plastic and walk out with exactly what they expected. This is the market that a currently produced, basic film SLR can service.

lns

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Leighgion View Post
    The used market is fine for individuals inclined to research and shop around, but is a no-go for organizations (like photography departments at schools) that need a steady and reliable supply that can be called on with a minimum of fuss, or people who just want to be able to walk in, wave their plastic and walk out with exactly what they expected. This is the market that a currently produced, basic film SLR can service.
    This is so true.

When the high school kids around here sign up for photo class, if there isn't an old SLR lying around somewhere, the moms all go to buy a new camera. They don't want to haunt garage sales. They've never heard of KEH. They just want an inexpensive working camera quickly. It's just another school supply to buy. The (few remaining) local stores stock the basic Nikon or Vivitar film SLR for that reason.

In fact, if there no longer are new cheap film SLRs available at retail, the school will likely stop offering the film class. Our high school doesn't have the budget to buy film SLRs in bulk and loan them out to Photo I students. That's probably what's driving Kodak, and if they can afford it, it's a great idea. I'd also suggest offering simple film point and shoots, for the older folks who aren't going to go digital but want a snapshot camera. There are more of them than you think. And those digital p&s cameras are way too complicated.

-Laura

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post

Ian
    Forgot about the Retinas didn't I? Still, their most successful marketing has been low end, high volume product.
    Graflex wasn't sold as a "Kodak" brand. The Recomar may have been popular in Europe but in 30+ years in the trade I've only seen them at the occasional camera show & not often, at that.
    Are you suggesting that Kodak is successful in competing against Nikon in the digital SLR market? If so, where are they in the market today and weren't they using a Nikon chassis?
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin