Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,894   Posts: 1,520,899   Online: 1003

Thread: 3rd party hoods

cmo
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

3rd party hoods

Last night I prepared my cameras and lenses for a trip and discovered that I have two (!) Leica lens hoods for the 2/50 Summicron M, but none for my 2/35 Summicron (2nd version). Wow. How did I do that? (You will find the second hood in the classifieds soon...)

I also found that it would not be a bad idea to add hoods for my Canon 2/100 and 3.5/135 LTM lenses. The big one has a 58mm thread, the 135 has 48mm. I also have a 2/35 Canon with a strange 40mm (not 40.5) thread and a Zeiss Sonnar 1.5/5cm wartime LTM lens with (I think 40.5)

Did I mention my Zeiss Contarex Biogon 4.5/21 with the Leica M adapter? Well, that is one of the lenses in the world that probably does not need a hood, but...

Are there any 3rd party lens hoods available for this little collection that you can recommend?
    Last edited by cmo; 09-07-2009 at 05:52 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    ***Are there any 3rd party lens hoods available for this little collection that you can recommend?***

Have you looked on Ebay? I just use any make of rubber ones that fold back, also handy to protect the camera/lens, but I think the rubber ones get scarce for 24mm and below lenses, as they would have to be very wide to stop vignetting.

Shooter
    35mm
    It all really depends on what angle the rubber hoods are moulded to. For 28mm and wider lenses I just trim the rubber hoods back with an Exacto knife. Shoot a short test roll and check for vignetting. Retrim if necessary.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    HeavyStars makes a great product for reasonable cost. http://www.heavystar.com/servlet/the...ate/about/Page
    I replaced the hood on my Leica 35 Lux ASPH with a HeavyStar as many have done as the Leica ($140) hood keeps coming off. For about $7, it works great.-Dick

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The Canon needs a low profile Canon 40mm filter and a clamp on 42mm series 6 filter ring with a low profile hood. The last also leave you with an option of series 6 filters in stead of the 40mm, a series 7 clamp on will do as well.

Noel
    Last edited by Xmas; 09-07-2009 at 10:40 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The heavy star hood for the 50 summicron viginetes (bad spelling) on a 35 summicron. Don't ask how I know.
    Dad, is the lens cap suppose to be on?.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin