Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,921   Posts: 1,522,098   Online: 719

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

1930's and 35mm Cameras

Leica rangefinders appeared in the 1930s and I think the Contax II & III but where there any other 35mm cameras that appeared between 1920-1940?

Or were they all medium and large format cameras.
    Stack of 35mm stuff, some 120 stuff and lots of other junk to make it work

Keep it simple. ~ Alfred Eisenstaedt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A lot, Exacta, Praktina (just), Super Nettel (Zeiss), Retina (Kodak/Nagel) to name a few, mainly in the 30's.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Argus. In fact, just the other day I bought an Argus AF (c. 1937) at a flea market for five bucks on an impulse.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    1935 Certo SuperSport Dolly is a 120 film folder with an f/2.8 7,5 cm Zeiss lens.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Canon story begins in 1933. The company's first commercial camera, the legendary "Hansa Canon", which was also Japan's first quality 35mm camera, was released in 1936. Read more about Canon's early days here:

http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/h...1933_1936.html

Michael

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The Autocinephot/Debrie Sept.
    The first stills (also) camera that used 35 mm film. Late 1910s, early 1920s.

JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Remember that the Kodak Retina from 1934 was the first 35mm camera to use the modern 135-cassette.

I have Retinas, a Balda Baldina and a Certo Dollina. Welta also made some 35mm cameras.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Also, from Zeiss Ikon: Contaflex twin-lens reflex, Nettax rangefinder (built on the Super Nettel platform), Tenax II and the Tenax I.

A piece of trivia about the Tenax cameras. The Tenax II was introduced before the Tenax I -- probably the first time the "II" version of a camera was introduced before the "I." Note that both are marked Tenax.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Regarding Canon's early days, despite being named "Precision Optical Instruments Laboratory," Canon -- bizarrely enough -- couldn't produce its own lenses and used Nikkor lenses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In addition to those already mentioned:

Exakta (really someone should have come up with this one earlier...); Praktiflex; Univex Mercury; Russian Sport and FED; Jaeger LeCoultre Compass; Agfa/Ansco Memo; Agfa Karat; Asahi Bussan (Ricoh) "Super Olympic"; Kodak No. 00 Cartidge Premo*; Zeiss Ikon Unette*; Ernemann Bobette*; Tourist Multiple; Jules Richard Homeos; Rothgiesser & Schlossman Rothschloss; Tougodo Meisupi, Meikai & Hobix; Anderson; Smith; Simplex; Schoenander; Minigraph; Cyclocamera; Autocinephot; Hewit-Beaufort; Morsolin Argus (Italy); Le Phototank; Cosmos 35; Mentor Werke Kamera Rapid; Seischab Esco; Werke Simons Sico*; E. Guérin & Cie. Furet; Debrie Sept; Mollier & Demaison Le Cent Vue; Krauss Eka; Van Remorteel Photorette; La Cinescopie...

Some were earlier than 1920, none later than 1939.

* Used unperfed 35mm film with a paper backing, much like 828 film
    Last edited by Nicholas Lindan; 09-12-2009 at 04:29 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin