Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,048   Posts: 1,561,009   Online: 1047

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

most pleasing out of focus area: nikon 50mm lens

Hi,

I noticed that all my 50mm nikkor lens (I have 3 of them + 55mm micro) are not so nice in out of focus areas like 105mm/2.5 lens.

Which 50 mm lens for nikon you would recommend that will give best pleasing out of focus area?

thanks,

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    you don't mention what the fstop of your 50 mm would be. THe more wide open the better the chance you have you get the bokhen you may be looking for; different lens will give a much different look which is what your finding.
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ann View Post
    you don't mention what the fstop of your 50 mm would be. THe more wide open the better the chance you have you get the bokhen you may be looking for; different lens will give a much different look which is what your finding.
    Any f stop. I just want to be more pleasing. It can be manual lens, old lens, new lens (but not G lens, it is for nikon F3)... not necessary nikkor... I am just wondering are other people also not satisfied with 50mm out of focus area, or it is just me
    I know that everybody loves 105/2.5 out of focus area, but for 50mm there are not so much story's

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think what you are describing is what the Japanese call "bokeh", and that seems to be the word photographers are using in English for it, too.

The Nikon 50s don't have exceptional bokeh. The best option is probably the Carl Zeiss Planar T* 50/1.4 that is available from Contax. It comes in Nikon mount. If I recall correctly it has the electronic contacts (effectively making it an AI-P lens) so it should work in all modes except for autofocus.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Actually, I like the bokeh of the 50/1.2. Nice and smooth. On the flip side, it isn't that sharp and contrasty to begin with.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Nikkor 105 f2.5 is one of the best on the topic. Love it so much I own 3 of them. I dare say that NO 50mm of any brand will ever match it on the out of focus rendering. Same for flare control and overall image quality. I own several normal Nikkors, too, none is *great* on bokeh. From what I own (50 f1.8, 50 f1.4, 55 f2.8, 45 f2.8), the 45mm f2.8 is the better one on bokeh. However, the 50 f1.4 is my overall favorite for what I shoot. I read good comments on bokeh about the 50mm f1.2 (mentioned above) and the 50mm f2.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree with dnk512. The 105 is excellent (wonderful for head & shoulders portraits). The 50/1.4 is not that bad either.

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Darkosaric

I was asking about the fstop to see how open your shooting. The wider the better. However, as several others have mention there are lenses that will give smoother bokhen
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have nikkor 1.4 but old one, nikkor-S, non AI (converted to AI). I am not so satisfied with out of focus area in that one. I mean - it is not bad - but not beautiful. Maybe newer 1.4 will be better (I have new 1.8 AF D, is new 1.4 similar to 1.8 in this issue)?
    I took a look on ebay: nikkor 1.2 and Carl Zeiss Planar 1.4 are about 500$. Not so cheap, but again not sky high expensive also...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The 50mm 1.2 probably has the most pronounced bokeh -- the 1.4 isn't bad either and either are about as good as you will get at that focal length. (I've used both, but not the Zeiss mount for Nikon)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin