Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,217   Posts: 1,532,131   Online: 1047

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Scored a minty Nikon MD-2!

I'm still stoked, had to share.

I occasionally have to remind myself that it's often worthwhile to check out what the local camera shops have on their shelves instead of depending on eBay and craiglist alone for used gear to come along.

So this afternoon, I decided to drop by Houston Camera Exchange since I was in the area, on a whim more than any other reason, and spotted the MD-2 nestled amongst a cluster of motor drives on their bottom shelf -- a place where you really had to be looking to see anything at all. The guy pulled it out, and set it on the counter, and I tried not to let my eyes pop, but I know my pupils dilated. Probably the cleanest MD-2 I've ever seen. The battery pack is the less desirable MB-2 (most folks prefer the MB-1, since it holds two more batteries and cranks the drive a bit faster), but it was just as pristine.

Tried not to do a doubletake when I looked at the price on the sticker. A whopping $60!

Sold! I said, hoping the fellow didn't discover some sort of pricing error between the counter and the cash register. I had him add a roll of Ektar to the purchase, paid my money and got out of there before anybody wised up.

Ain't she purty?

The MD-2 even makes my moderately thrashed F2 look better. Huh.

-M

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You need to celebrate by buying some more lenses to use with it.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yeah, all in good time. So far, I have a 24/2.8, 28/2.8, 35/2, 50/1.4, 55/3.5 Micro, 105/2.5, 80-200/4.5 (all Nikkor), and Tamron SP 90/2.5 Macro, Tamron SP 60-300/3.8-5.4, Tamron 2x, and Vivitar macro-focusing 2x. Plus I have a couple of old T-mount Century Tele-Athenar II teles -- a 500/5.6 and 650/6.8. I need a wide-to-short-tele zoom yet, and I'm jonesin' for a 20mm or wider, and one of these days I'll score a fast telephoto, e.g. a 300/2.8.

Michael

Shooter
    Multi Format
    20mm, I found was about the limit for 35mm for a wide angle lens that was still practical. I have heard the the 17mm and 18mm are good, but I have not tried them. At 20 mm, I found that I had to be careful of distortion in an unpleasing way [if it was pleasing, for a photograph I was taking, then great!]

Much wider and you will find yourself with a fisheye lens. While useful at times, I found a limit to what I could use it for. Also, I get real tired on my shoes showing up at the bottom of the frame.

Steve

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Nice Find!
    Most of the antique shops around here I have cleaned out all their nice to semi-nice SLR and Rangefinder cameras.
    They don't buy any more though
    oh well, I need to take a buying hiatus as my wallet is getting light.
    Have fun!
    My weapons consist of 11 cameras. And counting... Be afraid.

We are the makers of music, The dreamers of dreams.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    On second thought, you don't need more lenses. But you might need a pack mule to carry your gear.

I wonder how much that bag would weigh with everything in it, including the camera plus motor drive.

Minty, huh? What exactly does that mean? Is that like being almost a virgin?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    He does not need a pack mule, it is his new fitness program. He canceled his gym membership.

Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Fortunately, my largest bag won't hold all my Nikon gear, so I'm forced either to empty one of my other bags, or just carry less -- which is what I usually do. Actually, once I score a good wide to short tele zoom, for most casual photography, I'll be able to get away with two lenses, the camera/drive, and my Gossen Luna Pro meter. Oh, and I have a compact flash I would bring along tool.

With my bad back, last time I had to pack my gear, I had my 18yo daughter schlep most of it for me. Hehe.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    cooltouch,

I suggest getting a camera backpack that loads from the top and has a waistband belt to put the weight on the hips. PM me and I will tell you about two options that will be better for your back.

Steve

Shooter
    35mm
    You have the MB-2 with it which is not as cool as the MB-1. I didn't know that the MB-2 can be used on the MD-2, I thought it's only for the MD-3.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin