Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,925   Posts: 1,556,793   Online: 1007

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My favorite is the Alden 74 (colourful) or the Burk & James

Shooter
    35mm
    Best film loader I know is Jason Zimmerman, but he worked up out of 2nd assistant a long time ago...

Shooter
    35mm
    I have a Watson and a Lloyd loader, both bought from Freestyle (it looks like Freestyle don't sell the Watson type anymore, though).

Both do the job, but I've found that the build quality of the Watson leaves a bit to be desired. The door on my Watson loader is hard to close, and I'm always afraid that it will pop open while I'm loading a roll. Apparently, the older Watson units have better build quality, but I haven't seen one in person so I can't confirm this.

The Lloyd, unlike the Watson, doesn't have a frame counter, but I just count the number of cranks (besides, the counter on my Watson doesn't work anyway). The light trap in the Lloyd relies on a felt strip, which, if kept clean, you shouldn't have trouble with. As others have noted, the last few frames don't get fogged with this type of loader, too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's been bugging me ever since I came across this thread -- as I was recalling, I thought I still had a bulk loader around here somewhere. So, I looked today and found it. This one is a Watson-style, but made by Prinz (in Israel, interestingly enough). It's called a "Prinz 66". Build quality is what I would describe as "adequate." I would not expect to pay more than about $10 for something like this on eBay. It works just fine, though.

Oh, and if you have a changing bag, you can bring the loader and film canister into the bag, load the film onto the reel and close up the loader, thus not exposing the last few frames.

Michael

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by goldie View Post
    Hansa / Konica / AP
    All the same design under different brands, I have 4 of these & prefer them to the Dayroll design.
    It that's the "square" design, I have the Konica version and can highly recommend it, solid construction and I've never had any issues with film damage or scratching.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use the Alden 74.

Much better made than either the Watson or Lloyd. I haven't used the AP.

The Alden is made from Bakelite and is quite sturdy. It has an elapsed film usage guage, but it only goes to 30 feet (? memory) before it goes around again. It has a knob on it for closing Nikon cassettes - may also work for the Leica cassettes.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    24 exp rolls for black and white and for color (not any of the "professional" color films such as portra). Kodak Gold is available in 12, 24 and 36 exp. Tri-X, and Plus-X are available in 24 exp too.
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin