Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,908   Posts: 1,521,523   Online: 878

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan

Recommendation for a film loader?

I am in the market for a bulk film loader.

The reason I wanted one is to reduce film cost and also I prefer 24 exposure rolls, which seems to have disappear from the market.

I don't mind buying used, in fact I prefer the quality of things they used to built in the old days.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamster View Post
    Since someone else has started a thread . . . .

If anyone has useful feedback on the Arista loader that Freestyle sells, I'd appreciate hearing it.

(Also a bulk loading newbie.)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

The reason I wanted one is to reduce film cost and also I prefer 24 exposure rolls, which seems to have disappear from the market.

I don't mind buying used, in fact I prefer the quality of things they used to built in the old days.
    I have no idea of such things, but I do know that if you prefer how things use to be built: buy Russian! I use a lot of Soviet era equipment, and it's built like a tank, can't tare it up, and relatively cheep.

Sadly, it's equipment that is hard to come by. So it looks like the three that are available are plastic. Avista, which just looks cheap, but I have personally never used, the Lloyd's type, which can be found everywhere, and the old standard Watson. I have used a Watson type, and they are just fine. Nothing special.

There are several on that big auction site (as J. puts it), that can be had for cheap. Check it out!

-J. Richard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have used the Legacy Pro Lloyd film loader that Freestyle shows here:

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/63000-...der?cat_id=701

It worked well. I've also used the Watson, which is cheaper in quality, but also gets the job done:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Watson-35mm-Bulk...d=p3286.c0.m14

Of the two, I like the Legacy Pro Lloyd better.

Michael

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've always used the Watson type, and in fact just obtained a second of the same type, although it is an earlier version made by Alden.

They work well.

The other type might be slightly more efficient in terms of how much exposed film there is between the spool and your last usable negative.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I bought one of Kaiser's bulk loaders months back, Arista and AP loaders seem identical to Kaiser's (Kaiser is hard plastic too).
    I am very happy with it actually no problems whatsoever. I am new to bulk loading myself too.
    I used the loader once but I used more than half of the loaded cartridges. No dust, scratch or any ill effect.
    Less than half of the last frame usually comes pre-exposed, it happens while loading, I don't know if there is a way to overcome it.
    AP and Arista's loaders look exact clones, so I would assume they are as good as kaiser's too.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

******* If you have access to dark room, why not just load your cartridges in the dark? I do not use a machine to load my film on to developing reels; and I do not use a machine to bulk load the film I put in to my cartridges. But I sure do like bulk loading!
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hansa / Konica / AP
    All the same design under different brands, I have 4 of these & prefer them to the Dayroll design.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DLawson View Post
    Since someone else has started a thread . . . .

If anyone has useful feedback on the Arista loader that Freestyle sells, I'd appreciate hearing it.

(Also a bulk loading newbie.)
    I have one and I love it. It shows how much is left, which can be important. I have 2 other lloyds. They are functional, but I miss the ability to know when I run out....

The arista has a quirk to load, as you need to trim the end like a neck tie to thread it. Everything else is positive.

Shooter
    35mm
    I recommend the Alden 74.

Chris

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin