Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,546,021   Online: 996

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    That is it precisely, Mike P--if it did not make a difference, I would not have asked.

Also, I laughed when he stated that he was going to block me from purchasing any items from him. I could not imagine why, after his response, he would have thought I would have bought anything from him.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Maybe he thought you were from France.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    IMO lenses with original caps indicated the original user had used it with care, and took effort to maintain his equipment.

We all know some people who are careless with they way they treat their equipment, having original caps and stuff usually indicates that the previous owner who is organized and looked after their kit.

Shooter
    35mm
    With that attitude and the fact that the saps are generic I can only speculate on the condition of the lens. Obviously not a serious photographer / collector.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I always check the feedback. he has had 4 negs in the last year. if you check them..one of them comments on his rudeness. I don't buy from anyone less than 100% feedback anymore. I have only had one bad experience, but it was enough to make me realise that ebay involves giving money to strangers for something you have never seen in person...and that needs a high level of integrity.

personally, I don't think about generic lens caps as a problem. I am not a collector, I am a photographer, and the value for me resides in what it does for me. If you had asked me, I would have answered you without rudeness...but as a photographer I would have thought it a strange question.

K
    Kal Khogali

www.kal-khogali.com

Visit my Photo Scrap Book

www.shutteringeye.wordpress.com

"Wake up, dream, and photograph what you have seen.
    Don't wake up, photograph, and dream of what could have been."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What an ass. Had the nerve to post your question and his/her "Does it matter?" reply in the auction for public view. Several people here should ask picky questions about each and every item they are selling...multiple times.

Shooter
    35mm
    The seller claims that the lens is made by Vivitar. As far as I know Vivitar never made any lenses, but marketed lenses manufactured to their designs by other manufacturers.

Shooter
    35mm
    There are some excellent comments and ideas here--thanks. I agree: we should demand better from eBay. Perhaps the way to do this is by supporting only "100%" positive sellers (as one poster has indicated). It is also good to share information (as we have done in this thread). Giving money to stangers for items that are never seen in person is, when one thinks about it, a very odd and risky proposition. I am glad that I have received a few nice items over the years, but I have also had more than one negative experience.

I, too, think that original caps are a good sign in terms of overall care and good ownership. Likewise, I have always preferred buying camera bodies (and other equipment) in the best shape possible, as this is also at least some type of indication regarding prior use and care. While it is true that many dinged up bodies can work for years and years (especially the better bodies), I feel more comfortable in these "unseen" transactions when I buy at least an EX grade piece of gear. I find KEH's EX grade to be a good rule of thumb. In my experience, KEH's EX grade is usually at least as good or better than the "mint" or "minty" item on eZoo.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FilmOnly View Post
    "mint" or "minty" item on eZoo.
    I believe e-bay intends those words to be understood as follows:

mint - that green color you'll see on a camera's metalwork, particularly when made from some copper alloy

minty - that funky smell when said camera has been sitting in a damp basement for the last 30 years

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    FWIW, I think the seller's original question "Does it matter?" was reasonable, but the other two messages are obviously completely out of line. You may not have much basis for complaining to eBay---I don't think they have any rules against the seller being a jerk---but dang, what a jerk.

-NT
    +1 His response was out of line but I think his point is valid. It's not exactly collectible is it?
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin