Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,707   Posts: 1,548,522   Online: 865

Thread: Minolta lenses

Shooter
    Holga

Minolta lenses

Hi all,

This is sort of a question about DSLRs as well as old lenses. I've inherited a Minolta Maxxum 7000 and a couple lenses from a sibling. The body is still functional, as are the lenses, and I intend to keep them for 35mm.

I also intend to purchase a DSLR at some point (maybe). If the lenses are decent I'm inclined to pick up a Sony alpha since they're compatible. But if they're not, I'll be investigating other makes as well.

The lenses I have are:
    Minolta AF 50 F1.7
    Sigma 60-200 4-5.6 ZOOM

There is also a
    ROKUNAR MC M/AF 2X Teleconverter
    and a
    C.P.S. Ultra Wide Macro Lens 0.6X 52 mm. There's a sticker on it that says "Close up+8"

Has anyone seen/used these before? Or know anything about them?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I believe (almost?) all lenses that are compatible with Minolta Maxxum are also compatible with Sony Alpha. I have that same 50/1.7 and use it with my Sony A700. It is a nice, sharp lens and autofocuses pretty quickly and accurately. I don't know about your other lenses, but there is a large database of alpha-compatible lenses and reviews here:

http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/index.asp

Have fun!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I bought a Sony alpha 350 because I have several Maxxuum lenses. All work perfectly fine with the Sony. I currently use the 50 f1.7, the 28-105 zoom and a Tamron 28-300. I did have a Sigma 24-105 zoom but it didn't work with ADI flash, it only worked with TTL so I don't use it anymore. Digi snaps all look great with these lenses. My Minolta 3699HS flash works great on the Sony as well.

Shooter
    Holga
    Heya,

Thanks for the replies. I know that they have a compatible lens mount, but I was told to investigate the lenses and to not use them as a factor in choosing a DSLR if they weren't well thought of. Although come to think of it, that does seem a little subjective...

Thanks for the comments about the 50 f1.7. I did look up the Dyxum database yesterday before I posted and found that one listed.

The 60-200 is a bit of a bother though, it's not in the database and Googling produces few results about the quality of the product. I have established that it's 'rare' but that doesn't tell me if that's because it wasn't any good so they stopped making it, or something else.

I'll keep digging anyway.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The 50 F1.7 would work fine on a Sony Alpha. The Sigma 60-200 may not. Some of the older sigma lenses need to be re-chipped for the Auto Focus to work on the DSLR's. My suggestion would be to head over to the lens database at dyxum.com and do a search on the lens.

While the 50 F1.7 is a pretty good lens (some hate the Bokeh on it), they are a very common lens, probably worth about $150 (unless they are the maxxum version with the crossed xx's. These are a little rarer and worth a little bit more if in excellent condition).

But don't let me put you off. I entered into the Sony system with only 2 kit lenses and the 50. Now I have quite a few more, including the excellent Beercan (70-210 F4) and am very happy with them.

edit - sorry, it appears that you have found dyxum. Considering that the lens is not in the d/base, I would say its a non starter
    Last edited by hoffy; 09-17-2009 at 11:33 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Re-read previous post

Shooter
    Holga
    Thanks for the info. It's good to know. None of it is off-putting, just informative.

I found a reference to the 60-200 on Dyxum's forums. Apparently there is an older and a newer version of that lens, and the older ones don't work on the DSLRs. I have a sneaking suspicion that mine is the older one. I'll see if I can try the lens on an alpha body just in case anyway.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin