Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,534   Posts: 1,544,026   Online: 1117

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    It should be noted that accessories for the first two versions are compatible with each other; none, as far as I know, are compatible with the third model (New F-1). Accessories for the New F-1 have 'FN' in the name, such as AE Finder FN, Motor Drive FN, etc.

I don't have the second model, and so have not a clue what was updated.
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

I am beginning to resent being referred to as 'half-fast'.
    Whatever that's supposed to mean.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Actually, there is more interchangeability than you might think. The eyepiece rings interchange, for sure. But it is also possible to mount New F-1 finders onto Old F-1 bodies, although not vise versa. The fit isn't perfect, however (there's a gap in the rear at the bottom of the finder), and the eye relief appears to be different, so focusing isn't as easy. I've only tried this with the Eye-level Finder FN. The AE Finder FN probably won't fit, but the sport finder FN might.

Some of the differences between the F-1 and F-1n are: a plastic tip was added to the film advance lever, the film advance stroke was shortened, a memo holder was added to the back, ISO speeds were increased from 2000 to 3200, and the battery check/on-off switch was spring-loaded in the "C" position to avoid inadvertent battery drain.

Michael

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think at the time the confusion was caused because Nikon were manufacturing the Nikon F2, and Canon were unable to use that title for their updated models.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There might be a confusion on the differences of the F1 models, but as far as I'm concern they're all great models. I wouldn't give mine up for anything.

Jeff

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Canon always refers to the latest model as the "New" F-1, so I generally try to use that designation to avoid the usual confusion about the F-1n and "F-1N," which is a term that seems to have been invented by users and collectors.

I've updated the thread title.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by FilmOnly View Post
    I thank you for the input. Perhaps I erred in describing my camera bodies. Both of my bodies are the latest version of the F-1. Perhpaps I should have said "F-1N" instead of F-1n"? Indeed, mine is the "new" F-1. I have seen confusion about this naming convention before. Thus, I would appreciate any further details in regard to the F-1 timeline and the various changes found therein. Also, do you notice the slight slant to the white readout?

I have the AE Motor FN and the AE Winder FN. These are excellent pieces of equipment, and they make the F-1N into a world-class camera. Even the widely praised T90 (which would seem a nice camera) does not have a vertical release. Even the winder (not just the more expensive motor drive) for the F-1N has a vertical release. How did Canon overlook this on the T90? I have the standard prism on both of my bodies.

I appreciate the tip on the Canon FD group.
    They didn't, they did make a vertical relese it was the T3, it was a button that screwed into the cable switch socket where the 60T3 fits, and was operated with the right little finger, at the time they could be ordered from Canon Pofessional, don't ask me where you can get one from now, they are rarer than hens teeth nowerdays, and sell for big bucks between $50 and $100
    Last edited by benjiboy; 09-21-2009 at 12:11 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    Canon always refers to the latest model as the "New" F-1, so I generally try to use that designation to avoid the usual confusion about the F-1n and "F-1N," which is a term that seems to have been invented by users and collectors.

I've updated the thread title.
    I agree David, It is very confusing especally if you are new to the F1 and buying on ebay, (which I don't) where most of the sellers don't know what there selling, even in camera stores that sell used equipment, few of the staff know.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    It's definitely not Canon terminology, but I suspect that it evolved among photo dealers who placed ads in publications like Shutterbug where ad space was always at a premium. "F-1n" takes up a lot less space than "original F-1, second version," and even "F-1N" takes up somewhat less space than "New F-1". Back in those days, most used camera dealers used these designations accurately. There was also the FTb and FTbn, that, even though these weren't Canon terms, most everybody knew what they meant. Less confusion with the FTb, though, but it served as, if not a precedent, at least a reinforcement.

Michael

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    That's a good point Michael. "F-1n" for the second version of the F-1, I believe, is Canon's term, but not "F-1N" for the third version.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    35mm
    I thank all of you for the informative replys. I am on vacation right now, and my two F-1Ns and A-1 are seeing heavy use. This "all Canon" excursion has been quite enjoyable. It is the first time out for my 55/1.2 (non-asph). What a tank of a lens.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin