Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,902   Posts: 1,521,186   Online: 1126

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Canon F-1N (New F-1) Viewfinder Shutter Speed Readout

Hello, all,

I received another beauty today from KEH: my second F-1n (i.e. latest version). I noticed that the shutter speed readout is different in this camera. It does not have red or green numbers--as my other F-1n does. Instead, it has white numerals. The numerals also appear to be displayed at a slight angle. I looked at the serials on the cameras. I guess they changed this feature somewhere within the production span. Any input or comments on this?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mine is the 1981 model of the F1n. That is the last year of them. It is the same year that the F1N came out also. Mine has the white numerals also so it is probably close to the same time of manufacture.
    I got the speed finder and the power winder for mine and it IS my favorite (well except maybe my A1 with the MA power winder)
    There also is a group here in APUG who deal with FD products. Check it out.
    Last edited by dances_w_clouds; 09-18-2009 at 01:29 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The F1n changed to white numeric LED display in late 1980 and continued until production of the F1n ceased.

(a great camera by the way! i have the F1n with red LED, circa 1980)

Andrew Kirkby
    Canon Australia

Shooter
    35mm
    I thank you for the input. Perhaps I erred in describing my camera bodies. Both of my bodies are the latest version of the F-1. Perhpaps I should have said "F-1N" instead of F-1n"? Indeed, mine is the "new" F-1. I have seen confusion about this naming convention before. Thus, I would appreciate any further details in regard to the F-1 timeline and the various changes found therein. Also, do you notice the slight slant to the white readout?

I have the AE Motor FN and the AE Winder FN. These are excellent pieces of equipment, and they make the F-1N into a world-class camera. Even the widely praised T90 (which would seem a nice camera) does not have a vertical release. Even the winder (not just the more expensive motor drive) for the F-1N has a vertical release. How did Canon overlook this on the T90? I have the standard prism on both of my bodies.

I appreciate the tip on the Canon FD group.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The F1 and the F1n came out with mechanical shutters I am not sure on the starting dates of the F1 and F1n and then in 1981 they stopped making the F1n and started the F1N with the electronic shutter. There is a lot of info on this Just "Google" the Canon F1 name.
    I think that my next G.A.S. episode I will be getting the F1N.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here's the F series virtual museum.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Remove the Prism and see which one you have in each one. One is the 'eyelevel Finder' The other is the 'Ae FN Finder FN'

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony-S View Post
    Here's the F series virtual museum.
    Oh great. Another accessory I need to find for my FT QL Now I NEED to find the booster !!
    Last edited by dances_w_clouds; 09-19-2009 at 11:49 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have 2 F1N- AE bodys they are my main workhorses, IMHO for my purposes, after twenty years of using them, cameras don't get much better than this model.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The generally accepted naming conventions for the Canon F-1 series are: F-1 (1971: 1st version of the Original F-1), F-1n (1976: 2nd version of the original F-1, note the "n" in lower case), and F-1N (1981: the New F-1). However, in practice, I have found that many people will interchange the upper and lower case Ns, so it is always necessary to double-check to see which flavor is actually being discussed. And to muddy things even further, occasionally I come across early F-1s that are labeled as F-1ns. It's almost as confusing as the situation with the Nikon F and its various finders. Bottom line: an accurate description or a good visual confirmation are usually necessary.

I hope to be buying an F-1n in the next couple of months, and I frequently browse eBay to see what they have. Sometimes I find that neither the photos nor the descriptions are sufficient to determine which version of the Original F-1 is for sale.

Michael

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin