Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,761   Posts: 1,516,112   Online: 862

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have been reading a fair amount about the FL lenses because of my purchase of the 2 great lenses that have been mentioned here. Some where it said the apature will remain open until the shutter is activated. Keep checking the links from Wicopedia they might have better info than I do.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    OK---that's what I'm trying to do. If the shutter is cocked, I can sort of feel that a mechanism is engaging somewhere in there---this happens with FD lenses as well---but the blades don't actually close.

-NT
    Do the FD lenses stop down? If they don't it's camera linkage not lens.

The FL lenses didn't have the interlock for the breech lock or open aperture linkages.
    If you set the f to 16 & move the lever at the back of the lens it should stop down. If it doesn't 99:1 it's oily blades. When it was put away it most likely worked. This is something that happens over time.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dances_w_clouds View Post
    I have been reading a fair amount about the FL lenses because of my purchase of the 2 great lenses that have been mentioned here. Some where it said the apature will remain open until the shutter is activated. Keep checking the links from Wicopedia they might have better info than I do.
    Yes, the FL lenses provide for full-aperture viewing, but not metering. You have to stop down the lens to meter the scene, but you don't have to leave it stopped down when taking the photo.

Michael

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

FL lenses

Quote Originally Posted by cooltouch View Post
    Yes, the FL lenses provide for full-aperture viewing, but not metering. You have to stop down the lens to meter the scene, but you don't have to leave it stopped down when taking the photo.

Michael
    Thanks for the info. It is hard to line up information on old lenses because you run into so many different options etc on the lenses. Turns out that that was the way I was doing it. I just experimented on running my FL 55mm f/1.2 on my A1 today but I forgot that there was colour film in it so I'll have to wait to get it processed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You know, now that I think about it a bit more, I think I may have misspoke, er, mistyped. Dang it, I wish I had an FL lens handy. Most Canon FL lenses have a separate ring that allows the user to open and close the iris without having to adjust the aperture ring, much like the way many "preset" lenses operate. This is to aid in focusing ease. So, when you push in the stop down lever, and click it into place, the lens aperture is now stopped down, and you can meter the scene. You must leave it like this when you take the photo. That separate ring, you can use to momentarily open up the aperture to insure correct focus, then you turn the ring back and take the picture. Sorry about the mistake there. It's been over 20 years since I've shot with an FL lens.

Michael

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes it would seem that the FL lenses on FD bodies are a combination that has a few variables. I have tried it stopped down but I won't know the outcome until I shoot the whole roll and develop it. I not going to be too much more experimenting until I find out.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Took the FL off the A1 FD and put FL back on the FT. So everything will be OK
    Last edited by dances_w_clouds; 09-21-2009 at 02:23 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cooltouch View Post
    Most Canon FL lenses have a separate ring that allows the user to open and close the iris without having to adjust the aperture ring, much like the way many "preset" lenses operate.

*The earliest versions had to be cocked like this, the later versions not so.
    You must leave it like this when you take the photo. * Not so.

That separate ring, you can use to momentarily open up the aperture to insure correct focus, then you turn the ring back and take the picture.

*Also not so. The stop down mechanism in the camera fully engages with the stop down lever in the lens. The meter linkage does not. that's why you need to stop the lens down manually to meter.
    Michael
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    John, I was referring specifically to using FL lenses on FD cameras. I probably should have been more clear. What I wrote above agrees with both my Canon AE-1 and AE-1 Program user manuals.

Michael

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just acquired a manual on the FT QL and I see my 2 lenses are different. On one of them there is a separate ring. One has a manual aperture ring as well as the preset. The other has the automatic ring as well manual. That might be one of the problems setting apature. So different instructions for each kind of FL lens. I see that it was explained before but not the FULL description that is in the manual. Like the saying goes if all else fails read the manual. Worked for me anyways.
    Last edited by dances_w_clouds; 09-22-2009 at 12:09 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin