Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,979   Posts: 1,523,765   Online: 1209

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by fotch View Post
    Lens protector.
    What he said and to slightly cut the haze.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Anon Ymous View Post
    I've seen some transmittance curves and there's a clear difference.
    Of course there is. In addition to cutting UV as effective as an UV filter, it also holds back a bit of the blue end.

It doing that, i'd say it definitely is more than just a lens protector that cuts haze.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Q.G. View Post
    Of course there is. In addition to cutting UV as effective as an UV filter, it also holds back a bit of the blue end.

It doing that, i'd say it definitely is more than just a lens protector that cuts haze.
    Eh no, I checked a Hoya booklet and there's a clear difference between UV(0) and skylight. The UV has a much steeper curve, effectively reducing UV better than their skylight. At 350nm the skylight filter allows 40% radiation to pass, while the UV cuts all of it. At 400nm, the skylight will allow about 90%, while the UV about 65%. From that point on, skylight's curve becomes flat, as opposed to the UV's curve...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Would love to see those curves.
    (A steeper curve typically means transmission increases more rapidly, i.e. absorption drops faster.)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by fotch View Post
    Lens protector.
    That's what I think too.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Q.G. View Post
    Would love to see those curves.
    (A steeper curve typically means transmission increases more rapidly, i.e. absorption drops faster.)
    Sorry, no scanner

BTW, the curve becomes steep from about 375nm. At that point, transmission is approximately 10%. These are facts for the simple filters, the PRO1 UV starts transmission at 400 and has a nearly vertical curve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sounds like a filter to hang on to; all HOYA filters are excellent. A few points:

By way of nomenclature, Skylight is different to UV; two distinct filter types.

Skylight 1A and 1B (more pinkish) commonly used to absorb blue light in distant landscapes i.e.mountains, seascapes etc.

Any filter should be matched to the optical quality of your lens, as it will introduce more risk of flare and/or ghosting so look for multicoated filters (Hoya, B+W make excellent filters). This means don't put a $4.00 glass filter on a $1500 lens.

Avoid using a Skylight 1B or 1A particularly with Velvia 100F in early morning of evening light (when there are pink-mauve hues). 100F with its flashy, avant guarde palette a quite different to stalwart Velvia 50 and 100, exaggerating magenta, and a 1B filter will take it to quite an extreme and unpalatable level. I have exploited this once and once only and taken it to Ilfochrome. The client loved it. I hated it!!

A Hoya HMC-PRO Skylight 1B is resident on all my lenses 67Ø 72Ø, 77Ø, (interchanged with a polariser; never used together).
    Last edited by Poisson Du Jour; 09-25-2009 at 02:21 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin