Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,548   Posts: 1,544,538   Online: 1008

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I find that auction site ok as long as I am very careful to buy from a seller with good feedback. But thinking about it, I've only had one thing that I had to send back. It was a Leningrad RF, it worked for one film, then the shutter curtains separated, the seller was very understanding and took it back, even paid me back for the postage both ways. But this could have just been a particularly nice ebayer, which I think it was, most probably would have told me to stick it where the sun don't shine...

I have noticed this, mostly in antique shops, where the seller doesnt know too much about the cameras. One place had a broken (from what I could tell) baby rollei for £115 ($180) and also, a Zenit B for £35 ($55). I managed to buy 4 of them for £5 (less than $10) from the second hand market in Leeds once, all were broken and only one had a lens, but I managed to make one working camera from all the pieces!

Shooter
    35mm
    Here, almost everything is allways a rip-off. It's antique, double the valor, even if the camera is completly ruin! In antique fairs, every camera is overprice, my latest experience was asking the price of an zorky 4k and ear the price of 100€ (I bought mine by 21€...).
    I friend of mine is considering buying the new pentax, the KX and possibly use lenses of the k mount and or use a adapter and go for the m42 lenses and told me that he was considering going to the antique fairs and see what could fine, and I said that he would only find overprice gear, and to go to ebay and look carefull. One cand find some great deals!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K View Post
    They were called Westcliff Photographic, and are probably the shop you have seen.
    Cheers Andy, that's much appreciated.

I'm hoping to come into a little bit of money towards the end of the year - maybe enough to get me an older Hassy and 80mm lens or even a simple Voigtlander RF with a 40/50mm lens. I'll have a wander down there and see what they've got as and when the money materialises.....

Paul.
    Paul Jenkin (a late developer...)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Auction sites dont have to pay the very high rents that are often many thousand pounds a week for prime city centre sites, pay council tax , heating lighting and staff salary bills, pay VAT or guarantee the used equipment.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 10-08-2009 at 10:24 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Paul,

You could always go to KEH and then pay the shipping and customs people a ton of cash. Heck, they need to make a living too!

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    Auction sites dont have to pay the very high rents,council tax , heating lighting and staff salery bills that prime high street sites cost, or guarantee the used equipment.
    Which is why good Camera stores with Websites & Ebay stores are fairer priced than many of the Ebay only stores - "Buy it Now" prices.

Work that one out They need turnover so they price to sell.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have found, as is often the case, that prices vary substantially, independent of the source. For example, on eBay, I see wildly hopeful prices on many of the "Buy it Now" listings. And few if any takers. There is much better value to be had to be patient and play the auction game. Case in point, I just won at auction a Canon original F-1 for less than $170. Condition-wise, I would give it a KEH Exc. New seals and mirror bumber even. Old F-1s of equivalent condition were going for several hundred dollars more in the BIN listings.

Where I live, there are a couple of camera shops that carry used gear. Their prices are also not all that understandable. I bought an FD 85mm f/1.2 SSC Aspherical from one shop about a week ago for a good price -- at least a few hundred dollars less than equivalents were being listed for with BINs on eBay. And about a month or so ago, I bought from this same shop a Nikon MD-2/MB-2 motor drive, in at least EXC+ conditions, for $70. But most of this shop's other gear, Canon FD included, was priced well up into the "hopeful" range. Still, it bears checking out what they have there, cuz every once in a while they'll have something priced way below market.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    IME, brick and mortar stores are generally horrible places to buy used equipment. Prices over twice what the market calls for, sitting in a case with no body cap, no record of service, no warranty, nobody who can tell you a thing about the equipment, etc. Samy's here in L.A. is one of the most vile offenders. I have to wonder: Do they ever sell any used equipment there? If they do, who exactly is buying it? I am sure there are shops that are exceptions, but I have never seen one.

One of my only moments of weakness with buying used equipment from a camera shop: I decided to bite the bullet back in Jan. and pay $200 to replace my FD 200mm f/2.8 IF that I had dropped on a rock on the banks of the Mississippi. (The lens was the closest lens I have to being dead mint, and of course I go and drop the camera it is mounted on.) Glass was all fine, but the mount broke off and I lost some tiny screws and an important coupler of some kind in the mud, so could not put it all together again once I got to VA. Penn camera in Washington happened to have the same lens in decent shape, and I badly wanted it for the next day, so I forked over the green. I was just glad they had the 200 fixed lens, which is one of my favorite and most useful lenses. My other options were one of two 70-210 f/4s, and they were only $80 a piece, but I knew they would just be stop-gap lenses, and I would eventually either replace the 200 or get it fixed anyhow. I can't believe that desperation on the buyer's part is the only way camera shops sell used equipment, but it is certainly the only way I have ever bought it from one.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 10-08-2009 at 04:29 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree with 2F/2F that camera shops are not always the best place to buy used stuff. There is a camera shop near where I live which is not to bad for buying used equipment. I have stuff from them over the years and all have been pretty good.

Jeff

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I can tell you the ultimate rip off... Students at the beginning of the semester. In my photo class (which can be taken by non-majors as a Gen Ed art requirement), several people came in the first night with Digitals, only to be told that we are using film. Many of these went out to buy film 35mm and were taken to the cleaners. One particular example was of a girl who bought a camera from someone advertising on Craigslist. For 75.00 USD, she purchased what looked to be a 20 yr old Vivitar with more brass showing than paint, but wait.. there's more! He so benevolently threw in a "flash" which was a cheap sears branded flash which was powered by one (huh?) AA battery. It looked to be older than the camera. Also, the in camera light meter does not work, her pictures are always underexposed. The lens had more dust and what looked to be fungus inside than some swamps I have visited. I could go on, but I think all of you get the picture.

In any case.. anyone got any half working cameras they want to send me? I am going to go into business at the beginning of next semester and we can all share the profits...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin