Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,303   Posts: 1,536,260   Online: 791

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Perhaps it depends on which Samys store and which department. I bought a Hasselblad 503, 250mm CF lens and 80mm CF lens. All KEH EX or EX+ condition for about the same price or lower than KEH of the same condition.

I brought the Hasselblad 903 in LN- condition for $800 less than KEH from Samys too.

The Hasselblad sales people were not shy about telling me to pass on this item or that item and wait for a better one to come in.

On the other hand I have passed on some of Samys used Hasselblad equipment because they wanted too much for it. Why? Because they paid more for those lenses and they wanted to get their money back out of it. The prices can vary so it pays to check KEH first.

Samys has the advantage that they have a Hasselblad technician there and I have him check out anything that I am thinking of buying.

I have not seriously looked at their other used equipment so I cannot comment of anything other than Hasselblads. I know the Hasselblad sales people, but I do not know about there other sales people. And my knowledge is only of the people in the Fairfax store for camera. [I have the 120 film processed in the Culver City store and I know the processing people well.]

As with any camera equipment, you have to know the product and have a good relationship with the sales person. If you do not have either, then move on.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The current rate that camera stores are going bankrupt worldwide at the moment and disappearing forever, I don't think any will be around soon to "Rip off" anyone.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    The current rate that camera stores are going bankrupt worldwide at the moment and disappearing forever, I don't think any will be around soon to "Rip off" anyone.
    You are right! I wish you were wrong. Sign of the times, I'm afraid.

Jeff

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have to recheck my camera collection prices again... B&H is selling an FM3a for $1449 (USD)!!!
    ------------------------------------
    -Joe
    RB67, ETR, ETRS, F4, F5, FM3a, A1, AE1,
    Bronica-S, Mamiya-7, Yashica TLR, & many many Range finders
    ------------------------------------

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Brac View Post
    most of the SLR's I've bought have needed the seals re-doing. You can do this yourself (& I have) but it's time consuming and fiddly.
    The first few times I did this, it was very fiddly and time-consuming, though almost the entire effort goes in getting the old seals out, not in putting the new seals in. Jon Goodman ('Interslice' on eBay) does a brilliant little kit which is child's play, and will re-seal a camera for, literally, pennies. I've renewed the seals on a pile of cameras, from '70s rangefinders to my Contax RTS and a bunch of Yashica SLRs, and it's one of the tasks I now find quite relaxing and satisfying to do. If you're selling one of your surplus cameras on eBay, and you mention that the light seals and mirror damper foam have been renewed, the value-add is much greater than the marginal cost and the half-hour or so it takes to do the job.
    Alex

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I find it hard to discern patterns in pricings. I have a dealer near me, a family-owned business, where the prices tend to be on the high side,though in the main one can understand them given the shop's location and overheads. The staff are generally photographers themselves and very knowledgeable, but occasionally I see stuff I know (and often have) priced ludicrously beyond their market values. They have a Yashica zoom on sale for GBP 80 that I found on eBay for GBP 15, and there's a good reason why the GBP 80 lens has been sitting there for over three years. Although eBay can vary wildly too, it's still a good indicator of market values, because buyers are not in the main interested in the seller's overheads, they're interested in what they have to shell out.

One eBay seller has been trying to sell an M42-screw long zoom lens for GBP 90 on fixed price. It's was on for four unbid listings in a row. He then changed it to at GBP 50 start with GBP 90 BIN, and after two listings it was still unbought. It's now unlisted, the last listing unsuccessful. I bought the same lens a year earlier for GBP 5. I guess he's holding out for that elusive buyer with lots of cash who really does believe the words "rare" and "amazing" in an eBay listing.

Some things are definitely going skyward, though. The Flektogons I have (20mm and 35mm) are now routinely going for three to five times what I paid for them a mere three years ago.
    Alex

Shooter
    35mm
    Out of curiosity I went to a camera fayre (that's the way they spell it) in the south of England on Sunday. There were over a dozen tables and most, if not all, seemed to be run by camera dealers. I recognised some names from a photographic magazine. I had hoped there might be some bargains but I didn't see any. There were a vast quantity of cameras, mainly film, and of all possible types, ages and condition. The ones that appeared to be in good condition seemed in general to be over-priced. There were also some rubbishy items which would have been better put in a recycling bin.

The one camera that really interested me was a MPP Microcord TLR, which was well over 50 years old. Its cosmetic condition was excellent and in fact the best I had ever seen. The dealer was prepared to reduce it from £89 to £79, which seemed quite reasonable. Unfortunately try as I might I couldn't get anything into sharp focus. Thinking it was me, I asked the friend accompanying me to have a go but he couldn't get it into focus either. So I left it, as the cost of a repair (assuming it was possible) would be higher than the camera's cost. During the time I was there I saw an awful lot of viewing but next to no-one buying. Next time I've got a few hours to spare I'll go round a few charity shops rather than a camera fayre.

Meanwhile on ebay a few months ago I bought an excellent Pentax SF7 body for £5.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just out of interest, isn't the word 'fayre' Gaelic (to the English Fair)?
    But the novelty of the word does not necessarily appear confined to England; I've seen it twice recently here in country Victoria!
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It's Ye Olde English, though from a Romance root.

Rip-offs take two parties: the ripper off, and the rippee.
    Just don't let yourself be ripped off, and the ripping off ends.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    Just out of interest, isn't the word 'fayre' Gaelic (to the English Fair)?
    It's just an archaic and almost invariably affectatious spelling of 'fair'. It's the same word. Standardised spelling is a relatively modern invention.

Incidentally, 'ye' as in 'Ye Olde Tea Shoppe' was never a word in mediaeval English. It is an error from Victorian times, a confusion of the old English letter called 'thorn', which looked like a 'p' with a longer ascender stroke, and which has now disappeared from the English alphabet. It was pronounced 'th'. 'Thorn' was written by drawing first the downstroke, then coming up to draw the bowl, finishing by touching the ascender again. Done in this way, it does look a little like a capital 'Y' that has been slightly closed at the top. I think it was lost following the Norman Conquest, the French never having been able to pronounce the 'th' sound.

The early English writing habit was to write words like 'the' and 'then' in an abbreviated form, writing first the letter 'thorn' followed by the 'e' or 'n' as a superscript above and to the right. So 'the' looked to the unfamiliar as 'Ye' and 'that' likewise was drawn to resemble 'Yt' and 'then' was drawn to resemble 'Yn', in each case with the second letter up in the air.

However, 'Ye' is most definitely 'the', just as 'Yt' is most definitely 'that'. So whenever you see a sign like 'Ye Olde Tea Shoppe', you know that 'Olde' is the last thing it is.

(You know, you can wait decades for an occasion to bring up examples of this kind of accumulated trivia.)
    Alex

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin