Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,676   Posts: 1,481,960   Online: 1011

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    I agree with Jason, after myself working for more than twenty years in photographic retailing, a price is just an invitation to make an offer, in fact the computerized tills we had in recent years after entering the product code for an item would tell the staff the ticket price and the minimum price it could be sold for to still make a profit, and with second hand equipment there was even more leeway , so my advice would be, do you're shopping on a wet Tuesday when business is slow, and make them an offer.
    Surely this strategy works better if there is a good supply of the item, say a manual Nikon SLR, rather than some rare lens that only appears on the second hand market twice a year?

Tom

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kershaw View Post
    Surely this strategy works better if there is a good supply of the item, say a manual Nikon SLR, rather than some rare lens that only appears on the second hand market twice a year?

Tom
    Then of course the price is rare as well. The market sets the true price, crazy people aside. That's where you can get the good deal if the seller dunt know what they have.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kershaw View Post

Tom
    Thom,most of the people who work in photographic shops these days are salesmen with a sleight knowledge of photography, a little more than the general public and to many of them a Leica or Rollieiflex is just old-fashioned junk, indeed I once saw a young member of my staff offer a customer £40 in part exchange for a Rolleiflex 2.8F with a 80mm Plannar !, he told me when I took him to task about it that he had no idea it was such a good camera, anyway how was he supposed to know the 1950s was before he was born, and it looked very old- fashioned to him :rolleyes:
    Quite often the price of second hand equipment is sold for depends how much the shop has to pay for it to buy or in a part exchange deal to acquire it.
    Ben

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin