Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,900   Posts: 1,555,801   Online: 815

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

35mm SLR Rip Off Time

As we are all aware film istarting to make a renaissance and with all these things there are some little scrotes out to make a fast buck,in a camera shop in York last weekend I saw a Canon EOS 50 (not the E) with grip but no lens and they were asking £119.00.On Ebay they are about £30 and I have seen other shops advertise them fot about £50,so watch out for our beloved film gear to start going up in price
    There Is A Bustle In My Hedgerow

My Film Shots On Flickr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think thats just second hand camera shop prices. There is a very good one near me, they are always well stocked with Rolleiflex, Leica, Nikon, Canon, Hasselblad etc. but their prices are always nearly two or three times what you would pay on an auction site. Of course buying from the shop you get a warranty.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you affix a tag that says "Antique" the price doubles.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kennedy View Post
    If you affix a tag that says "Antique" the price doubles.
    Last trip to the UK I saw a Zeiss Ikon on a market stall selling antiques. the price was more than double ebay and the condition scruffy.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    What you need to watch out for in buying SLR's on ebay & the like (if they are more than 20 years old or so) is that in most cases you will find the light seals/bumper foam has perished, thus making light leaks almost certain. The seller won't tell you that as often they don't know, and as someone mentioned above there is no warranty. That's why there is a huge price difference to buying in a camera shop. I have often bought on ebay, but it is always a bit of a gamble, and most of the SLR's I've bought have needed the seals re-doing. You can do this yourself (& I have) but it's time consuming and fiddly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    people seem to be asking insane amount for mint FM3a and Oly OM 3/4Ti cameras on ebay. Do people really pay $1500 for a clean OM3 ti? I think you'd have to be bonkers to pay $1000 for a FM3a too, when a really clean Fm2n can be had for $200.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The FM3a cameras go for about £350-£400 at Ffordes.

Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K View Post
    I think thats just second hand camera shop prices. There is a very good one near me, they are always well stocked with Rolleiflex, Leica, Nikon, Canon, Hasselblad etc. but their prices are always nearly two or three times what you would pay on an auction site. Of course buying from the shop you get a warranty.
    Andy,

Where is the one near you? I've driven past what looked like an old-school camera shop on the A13 heading west out of Southend. However, if the one you're referring to is as well stocked as you suggest, I'd be grateful for the details.

Cheers, Paul.
    Paul Jenkin (a late developer...)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They were called Westcliff Photographic, and are probably the shop you have seen.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    35mm
    While camera shops always seem to charge way beyond an item's actual value, I find that with "run-of-the-mill" (not necessarily lesser quality, just common) cameras, the price differential between eBay and camera shops is more extreme. When an item is even slightly out of the mainstream, such as an OM-4T or Canon F-1, the eBay price is almost identical to that observed in stores. Indeed, I have been misled on a number of eBay camera items, and I rarely use eBay now. I buy from only two or three sellers (or perhaps a seller that has a 100% feedback rating). Overall, KEH has been my best source of camera equipment.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin