Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,733   Posts: 1,515,340   Online: 975

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: First AE-1

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you think you like film and you are using a Holga, an AE-1 will blow you off the earth!
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Beware it does not end with just the AE-1. If you like that camera you will want to try a different one. Maybe the AE-1p. And what is a good Canon collection without the A1 ? And how about the older models FX, FT, F1 and F1N. AND have I mentioned the FD lenses. That is a whole new ball game. You my friend, have G.A.S. The only thing that holds me back are the silly things like FOOD and SHELTER.
    Last edited by dances_w_clouds; 10-17-2009 at 08:57 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Enjoy your AE-1. I have four classic Canon bodies. FD lenses are excellent. Canon accessories are among the best.

Shooter
    Holga
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ektagraphic View Post
    If you think you like film and you are using a Holga, an AE-1 will blow you off the earth!
    I'm not sure if one can even consider a Holga and Canon together. Again it's my first SLR but I can see a clear distinction in the styles.

Since most of these come with a 50mm lens, is that a pretty all-around lens? I guess a flash is a pretty needed accessory?

I think I should have gone with a package deal. I think I'll pay more for a lens than I did for the body itself.
    Last edited by Fireguy2002; 10-18-2009 at 04:00 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Sounded good

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireguy2002 View Post
    Did you at least get a lens with it? Mint usually comes in a list of 5-8 other words. My seller rated this one a 9 so I hope that's out of 10. Good luck with yours.
    Body only in my case, $57. I have a small collection of a few of the more affordable Canon FD lenses so I didn't need one. The 50mm 1.8 Canon lens is simply superb, as are all camera maker's 50mm lens. The 1.4 from Canon, a 1.4 from Konica, and a Fujinon 1.6 are probably my favorites lenses of all time, all 50mm.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Because they don't fit Canon's film autofocus cameras, let alone the electrocuted bit stuff, the FD lenses go for embarrassingly low prices today. My primary 35mm SLR was/is an A-1, but I inherited my dad's AE-1 and between them have an assortment of lenses. The 50 mm 1.8 is excellent and probably dirt cheap, but the 1.4 is quite affordable too. They're both excellent performers and constitute a "normal" lens for the format. There is a 35 - 70 f3.5-4.5 that is of the cheaper later build quality and about the same size as the 50/1.4 that I've used a lot for walking around and vacation shooting. It was cheap even when new! The need for flash depends much on your shooting interests; an f1.something lens lets in a lot of light.

I've used the AE-1 a few times, but noticed recently it's time to replace the light seals. (Fortunately I have some Jon Goodman kit material on hand.)

They're a capable camera, enjoy it.

DaveT

Shooter
    35mm RF
    You'll probably have to replace the foam seals, which is common with all Japanese cameras since the mid-1960s.

There also is an issue that afflicts the Canon "A" series SLRs having to do with the mirror, I believe. I think that the problem manifests itself in a squeak. Perhaps, others can provide information about this.

The AE-1 is a very nice SLR. It put Canon on the plastic path, which other manufacturers would soon follow. It was a hugely successful SLR, and as others have said the lenses available for it are plentiful and affordable.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think the squeak is more akin to the A-1. Nevertheless all these old cameras deserve a CLA before you start using them. They'll last another 50 years.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I am not sure if anyone has mentioned this. If you see any cheap non-Canon or even Canon EOS lenses, NO! They do not fit. Found this out the hard way several years ago. They will try to mount then get stuck.

Note: "Several Years Ago" was when I was a teenager.

Also: I have a friend who inherited an entire camera store inventory (three rooms of his house are filled with gear). I will go over today or tomorrow and see if I can flush out any FD lenses that are duplicates of mine. If so, Ill send you a box.
    Last edited by photomem; 10-18-2009 at 11:12 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Added Note.

Shooter
    Holga
    Images
    Thanks again guys. Of course, with my level of photography/camera knowledge, I'll have to take it in to get it looked at. Lucky for me, there is ONE guy in Fairbanks that seems to have a wealth of knowledge. He actually pointed me here. I'm glad all my wife sees for now is the $30 I spent on the body.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin