Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,326   Posts: 1,536,956   Online: 1191

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: First AE-1

Shooter
    Holga
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by photomem View Post
    I am not sure if anyone has mentioned this. If you see any cheap non-Canon or even Canon EOS lenses, NO!

I will go over today or tomorrow and see if I can flush out any FD lenses that are duplicates of mine. If so, Ill send you a box.
    Thanks, but I actually ciphered that from all the info I've read. Sounds like an easy enough mistake though.

If you found A lens, you would be my new best friend.

Shooter
    Holga
    Images
    So, apparently I just won
    1)Vivitar 70-210
    2)Canon 135 mm
    3)Canon 50mm and a 2X Teleconverter
    And on a side note, it came with an AV-1. Still cheaper than I got the body for.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Score!

Sounds like you are set then, I do not have to go dig around in the dusty rooms after all!

Can't wait to see some of your images.

Shooter
    Holga
    Images
    Haha. I can't wait to see them either. I just hope it was good timing rather than bad judgment that won this auction. The seller just said everything is in working order and could use a good cleaning. I got all 4 items for $21. Again, thanks for the offer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Pumalite View Post
    I think the squeak is more akin to the A-1. Nevertheless all these old cameras deserve a CLA before you start using them. They'll last another 50 years.
    The squeak happens with the AE-1, too. I was given an AE-1 Program about 20 years ago with 50mm lens. I found it to be a very nice machine; after using it I could see why they were so popular. I had no other Canon stuff, so I only used it occasionally. When it developed the squeak, I stopped using it and offered it for free to a Canonite (multiple F-1's) co-worker. He said it was a minor problem, easily rectified by a CLA. He insisted on paying me, as it was in great shape, so I took $25. He was one happy guy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I still have my A-1 and F-1 (old), along with two 50mm (f/1.4 and f/1.8), 100mm f/4 macro and 300mm f/4 (non-L). I tried to sell them a couple of years ago but no one was interested. I'm kind of glad they didn't sell. I might have to break them out an shoot a few rolls of 35mm.

Shooter
    Holga
    Images
    Have fun with that.
    Can anyone give me a rough idea of the differences in the lenses I got?
    1)Vivitar 70-210
    2)Canon 135 mm
    3)Canon 50mm and a 2X Teleconverter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Canon FD lenses have always had a very good reputation with their consistency of their ability to give excellent shots. I have about 5 different Canon FD's which I have no complaints about . There has also been many posts about the Vivitar lenses as well. Check out the serial # on your Vivitar and compare it to the ones that are listed. I found that one of my Zooms was made by Kiron # 22314..........

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Just remember one thing about the 2X Teleconverter. Usually when you use it, you will lose about 1 stop of light. Considering that your AE-1 should meter correctly considering that there is no interconnect between the lens and the camera (unlike modern camera/lens combos), it should not be a problem.. just thought you should be aware.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by photomem View Post
    Just remember one thing about the 2X Teleconverter. Usually when you use it, you will lose about 1 stop of light.
    You'd lose 2 stops with a 2x converter. One stop with 1.4x converter.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin