Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,840   Posts: 1,582,573   Online: 970

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    For the mirror foam and light seal foam, look on the 'bay for a user by the name of "interslice". Guy's name is Jon Goodman, and he's the one who does the DIY foam kits...

-J
    APUG: F2AS x2, F, FM2n, Nikomat FTn
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 20/3.5 UD, 24/2.8 AI, 50/2 AI, 50/1.4 AI, 50/1.4 S, 55/2.8 Micro AIS, 85/1.8 K, 135/3.5 QC

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    If the mirror foam needs replacing the light trap foam has probably perished too,
    januaryman - I think It's only the A series Canon FD cameras suffer from the mirror braking mechanism squeal.
    Good to know. Thanks!
    Jim
    Bessa R, Canon P, Fed 2, Kiev 4AM, Leica M2 & M4, Hexar AF, Canonet QL17 GIII, Yashica GT
    My Photos

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by januaryman View Post
    Good to know. Thanks!
    I only know because the guy who just recently serviced my A1 told me.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    Here is a geographically organized list of places that repair film cameras:
    http://acecam.com/srindex.html

I have found this service to be very prompt, reliable, and returns my Canons working like new.
    http://www.slr35.com/

I pay about $100 for a CLA with new light seals and mirror bumper.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I searched and this looks like the best place to pose my question:

I just got a minty looking Canon EF, but the shutter won't fire (it was cheap so I bought it anyway). Is it worth repairing? And who is the best and yet still economical repairman around now?

Thanks,

Garrett

Shooter
    Multi Format
    'Worth repairing' is an individual thing. I would certainly spend the money to fix up a minty EF, others (my local repairman, for example) would say you'll never get your money out of it if you want to sell it later.
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

I am beginning to resent being referred to as 'half-fast'.
    Whatever that's supposed to mean.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Value means far more than a few pieces of paper.Many have difficulties with that.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thanks, I'm looking at slr35.com. The "few pieces of paper" is our standard. I don't want to put say, 2 C-notes into a repair, if I could buy a mint, perfectly working alternate EF for, say, 1 C-note. Simple economics.

But back to this one, it is very nice looking, and I think if I can get a repair for around 1 note I'll do it.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I'd rather toss my few pieces of paper to the semi-retired repairmen who's making his retirement easier and productive by fixing what many discard.Far more value there for me.Subjective.I have this sentimental attachment to things after some time passes.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Well the first repairman, slr35, won't work on EFs. Anyone know a good repair place for Canon EF SLRs?

I'd take it to the local film repair shop in Tucson (been here decades), where I took a 100 year old Protar IV lens, but they botched it. I needed the iris unstuck, the guy decided to polish some of the splotchy brass, taking off the original varnish. I'm all about helping a local or older shop, but I want a careful professional. I'm sentimental too, and don't like seeing something butchered. This EF could work for me, but money is tight, and I don't want to do a costly restore of a common camera just to keep it out of the landfill.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin