Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,655   Posts: 1,481,401   Online: 1082

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Glad to help. Lee's worked on my Nikons and Hasselblads since the mid 80s.. He was trained by the only really reliable repair guy in the city going back to the 50s I suspect.
    I agree that Overland Photo is the only store like it left. There used to be 5-6 good stores but not anymore. The chain store places are awful. Better to order from Freestyle, Calumet or B&H.
    PM me off line if you want to grab coffee sometime.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ok, update. Lee was not able to fix my EF unfortunately. He doesn't do "major repairs" on them as they're kind of an odd duck in the Canon lineup. The sad thing is, everything works on the camera, meter, shutter, etc., except that the winder/shutter button are stuck. I really want to get this particular camera back up and running, so if you know anyone that does legitimate repairs on the EF, please let me know.

In the meantime, I'll do some searching.

update: Ken Oikawa seems to be the man. Two recent posts.
    http://photo.net/neighbor/view-one?n...hbor_id=337020
    http://photo.net/canon-fd-camera-forum/00YLpK

I'm going to call him, I think his current number is 951-246-9136
    Last edited by holmburgers; 03-09-2011 at 12:30 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Images
    Ken Oikawa is a great camera repair person, and absolutely tenacious. He has worked on a couple of cameras for me.

One had a persistent problem. He took it back and finally found the cause. He said he had been working on Canon F-1 cameras for 30 years and that was the first time he had seen that particular cause of a problem. Ken is the best.

Images
    You have his correct phone number, holmburgers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you very much. That's very reassuring; I'll be sure to report back if he works on my camera. He seems to have nothing short of a stellar reputation.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by holmburgers View Post
    Thank you very much. That's very reassuring; I'll be sure to report back if he works on my camera. He seems to have nothing short of a stellar reputation.
    Ken is a retired Canon repair tech who specializes in older Canon gear. F-1, FTb, Pellix, Canonflex, etc. that's what he knows best. Year's back he totally rebuilt an old F-1 of mine. It came back operating like it was new.

Jim B.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's awesome. I understand that his prices are reasonable as well, is that true?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by holmburgers View Post
    That's awesome. I understand that his prices are reasonable as well, is that true?
    From memory, he offers several types of services, everything from a minor CLA to complete overhauls, to repairs.

My memory is that what he charged for a complete overhaul of my F-1 was competitive with others who do this type of work.

Hard to say what he would charge for a repair. It would depend on what he has to do. He can give you a better idea once you talk to him.

Jim B.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin