Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,929   Posts: 1,585,219   Online: 773

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Reliable repair for Canon SLR's - EF and AE-1

I have had a camera or two fixed (sent out) by Penn Camera, but it took forever. I believe I will need repairs to the electrical circuits/meter of two cameras (one at a time), an EF and an AE-1. While getting it fixed, I expect a CLA to be done as well.

I would welcome any recommendations and stories with happy endings - including what it might cost. I'm considering either a repair or another purchase of one of these cameras from an online camera store -

thanks in advance.
    Jim
    Bessa R, Canon P, Fed 2, Kiev 4AM, Leica M2 & M4, Hexar AF, Canonet QL17 GIII, Yashica GT
    My Photos

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would advise you to have your AE1 and EF serviced rather than replacing them from an online store, because considering all FD equipment is more than about twenty three years old, and very little of it has ever had any maintenance you would probably be buying yourself problems for the future, if you get yours serviced at least you will know they've been done.
    I had the same dilemma recently with my EF and A1, and they cost probably more than the cameras were worth to CLA, but they are both now as smooth as silk, and I hope to enjoy using them for another twenty years.
    I live in England and don't know any repairers in the US, I'm sorry I can't help you there myself, but some of the American members will.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I notice that you live in Alexandria, Va. You might try Latent Image here in Richmond, Va. I know it is a bit far, but worth a try.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bob Watkins at Precision Camera Works in Niles, Illinois services Canons. I've used him several times for repairs on various cameras and always been happy. www.precisioncameraworks.com

Richard Wasserman

http://www.richardwasserman.net

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks to you all for the recommendations. I will try these, and Essex, which was recommended by a member from another camera forum. I also tried "Advance Camera Repair" that advertised via Goggle when I did a search, but based only on my description, they told me they could not fix it. Scared of old cameras, I guess. Awaiting quotes from a few other shops before I decide.
    Jim
    Bessa R, Canon P, Fed 2, Kiev 4AM, Leica M2 & M4, Hexar AF, Canonet QL17 GIII, Yashica GT
    My Photos

Shooter
    35mm
    Please keep us advised. I have an EF in need of the mirror foam bumper.

Good luck!
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the East Texas Rain forest. Apprentice Analog Activist.
    ... And to paraphrase Yoda, there is no how, only do.
    Vaughn
    My Photos Online

Shooter
    Medium Format
    There is a good camera repair shop in DC

Pro Photo
    (202) 223-1292
    1902 I St Nw, Washington, DC 20006

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks, alroldan12, I googled them and looks like a potential winner, and within a train ride from where I work. I'll give them a call. Still awaiting estimates from 2 other places I submitted to online.
    Jim
    My Photos

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Please keep us advised. I have an EF in need of the mirror foam bumper.

Good luck!
    I think there are kits that are easy to use on the bay, if that's your only problem. Unless you have the dreaded mirror squeal... That's another thing altogether.
    I'll update this thread when I find out more about my repair.
    Jim
    My Photos

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If the mirror foam needs replacing the light trap foam has probably perished too,
    januaryman - I think It's only the A series Canon FD cameras suffer from the mirror braking mechanism squeal.
    Ben

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin