Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,971   Posts: 1,558,623   Online: 1027

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should I trade

Shooter
    Holga
    Images
    Thanks for all the input. This guys the only one jumping on the gun. Since all I've got is a camera and 3 so-so lenses, it may be a worthwhile venture.
    -Chris

"I'd Really Rather You Didn't Use My Existence As A Means To Oppress, Subjugate, Punish, Eviscerate, And/Or, You Know, Be Mean To Others. I Don't Require Sacrifices, And Purity Is For Drinking Water, Not People."
    FSM

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If you're patient and choosy, it could probably be had for less. The CAT (mirror) lenses are a shorter and somewhat lighter version to a classic telephoto. They're pricey new. Just depends. You're there. We're not. It does sound worth looking at if you're willing to trade your firearm for this gear.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The Vivitar Series 1 70-210 should be a good zoom. The mirror lens sound interesting. Canon made tons of the other stuff, and the AE-1 is nothing special. Nice camera, but there are a lot of them around and can be bought for less than $50 (or that's about the most I would pay for a Canon AE-1).

Check the value of the mirror lens. I think the value of the other items is about $200.

If you want to get some really good film gear, check out the Kyocera Contax cameras and the Carl Zeiss lenses. They are considerably better than Canon's consumer-grade stuff.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As I am still new, like a baby's butt to film, I'd like a recommendation from the peanut gallery as to whether I should take this trade. I posted on Craigslist that I've got a gun to get rid of and a guy replied with this...
    Get in a boat go twenty km off shore and drop it in the Pacific no one will find it. How hot was it? you might want to melt it down to be sure of destruction.

The Peanut Gallery

When I was young I was taking a date to Vancouver BC, the border guard ask me what was the purpose of the visit. I replied that we just wanted to get away. He replied, get away from what?

I felt ten shades of stupid trying to explain as he held back his laugh.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Catadioptic lenses have some limitations in that they only have one aperture and exposure is controlled by ND filters inserted into the rear of the lens. The lens should come with a set of four or five filters.
    Any highlight will be circular, kind of odd but....
    I've had an AE-1P in the classifieds for a while around $50 with no interest at all. 1.8 lens, No squeak and new seals too.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What kind of gun is it? What do you think it is worth? We might be able to work something out. You might send me a personal message. Biill Barber

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You've got a gun to get rid of!? Prey tell, the things that are said here...

What would you use a 500mm cat. lens for? It's slow (typically around f6 - f8), heavy and unwieldly. Canon's AE-1 Program is a fine piece of engineering and is still sought after even down here in Australia (along with its venerated stablemate, the clunky, power-guzzling A1). The Canon lenses are a good line up (particularly the 35-100, though it could be quite a slow lens too); dunno about the Vivitar zoom. Check the flash units for battery corrosion in view of the "functioning?" remark. I doubt it's worth $400 all up; that 'ask' seems a bit high, even if the items are in excellent condition (if not, much, much less than $400). Seek out more info and inspect the goods before commiting.

Shooter
    Holga
    Images

I did it!

I think the difference in monetary value became smaller in importance as I looked at it. I did not need the gun. I did want a lot of the equipment he had. Trade made. Now what to do with 3 Canon A-series. Thanks for all the input.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF0002.JPG  
    -Chris

"I'd Really Rather You Didn't Use My Existence As A Means To Oppress, Subjugate, Punish, Eviscerate, And/Or, You Know, Be Mean To Others. I Don't Require Sacrifices, And Purity Is For Drinking Water, Not People."
    FSM

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin