Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,272   Posts: 1,534,535   Online: 1045

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by alkos View Post
    "Unfortunately, I was dissapointed with the examples on flikr and pbase"

Hmm, missed this one before. My question is: what did you expect, i.e. in relation to 50/1.8 lens?
    I was hoping to see that the lens offered a different character than a regular 50mm. Unfortunately I really couldn't tell it apart from others based on the images it produced. Ken Rockwell had stated that it had viginetting and was soft in the corners, but the example images I looked at were perfectly fine.

I did find some good examples on pbase:

http://www.pbase.com/image/43840770
    http://www.pbase.com/image/75747398
    http://www.pbase.com/image/60587469
    http://www.pbase.com/image/75747402
    http://www.pbase.com/image/86785280

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fschifano View Post
    One thing's for sure, I wouldn't base my decision on anything I've seen on Flickr. It's just a bunch of people posting pictures. Some are gifted, some not; and we all know that in clumsy hands, even the best equipment can produce inferior results. Conversely, crappy gear can produce outstanding results in gifted hands.
    Thats exactly why I like looking at photo sharing sites.

1. They are less likely to be heavily post-processed.

2. Real-world examples. No pics of gray walls.

3. I have clumsy hands, so i like to see 'average' examples instead of studio-controlled perfection.

Shooter
    35mm
    I never got vignetting with the lens. Even when I tried I couldn't.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by perkeleellinen View Post
    I never got vignetting with the lens. Even when I tried I couldn't.
    Do you use the cone-shaped lens hood? I wonder if that can cause some viginetting?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by darinwc View Post
    Thats exactly why I like looking at photo sharing sites.

1. They are less likely to be heavily post-processed.

2. Real-world examples. No pics of gray walls.

3. I have clumsy hands, so i like to see 'average' examples instead of studio-controlled perfection.
    1. How would you know? You are assuming that the images are less likely to be post processed, but assumptions can be wrong without any verifiable figures to back up the assumption.

2. Real world examples are good, arguably a better means of determining the suitability of a lens for a particular application than pictures of test patterns or brick walls. But pictures of test patterns, gray cards, and brick walls have their place too. An evenly lit gray card will most assuredly show if any vignetting is present, even if the impact of that vignetting is not obvious in a "real world" example. Similarly, a resolution chart will clearly show the limits of a given lens/sensor/software or lens/film combination. A brick wall photographed dead on level can clearly point out any barrel or pincushion distortion.

3. Studio controlled perfection? You can do things with light in a studio that you can't do outside of one. Imaging characteristics like barrel or pincushion distortion can be corrected in post quite easily. Judicious use of contrast control and sharpening tools are also quite easy to accomplish and can mask a lens' inherent softness a bit.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    1. Many images on sharing sites are 'snapshots' of family, places and such. I would not expect someone to put much effort into post-processing. Digital cameras and scanners do a certain amount of post-processing, of course. But if someone were to say.. "Joe SuperPro uses only Supertar lenses because they are so good, just look at his cover in TeenTalk mag and see how big her head is." Well I would assume that most pros do post-processing.

2. Yes, the controlled test data is useful, but its only half the story. How the final print looks can be totally subjective.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by darinwc View Post
    Do you use the cone-shaped lens hood? I wonder if that can cause some viginetting?
    Sometimes yes, sometimes no. But I never managed to get vignetting. I think Ken Rockwell shows some grey images showing the extent and it's quite pronounced at f2.8 I wanted to achieve that - a sort of nice technique when the scene called for it - but I could never do it.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I had wondered about this lens. It's one of those that I had thought about getting, but never got around to it.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Is this thing close to the older 45/2.8 GN Nikkor? Just curious 'cuz I've seen the them for less than $200.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    Is this thing close to the older 45/2.8 GN Nikkor? Just curious 'cuz I've seen the them for less than $200.
    The same optical design, I think. The difference is the older version has the 'GN' feature and the newer one has electronic contacts for modern cameras.

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...kor/index9.htm

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin