Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,856   Posts: 1,583,051   Online: 945

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Nikkor 45mm f2.8 P Pancake lens

I just picked up a Nikkor 45mm f2.8 P Pancake at a local shop.
    I have never heard of it before so I did a quick web search.

The top result was a review by Ken Rockwell that pretty much trashed it.
    However, from reading into what he was saying, I was pretty exited about it.
    He said that it had some light falloff and was soft in the corners. but I read that as having 'character' that could be put to good use.

Unfortunately, I was dissapointed with the examples on flikr and pbase, they did not seem to take advantage of the lens. Either that, or the lenses character is too subtle to really notice.

Does anyone have any pics from the lens they could share?
    What do you APUG'ers think about it?
    Last edited by darinwc; 10-26-2009 at 06:47 PM. Click to view previous post history.

lns

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have no pictures online, but I've used it and love it. Very small, sharp enough for me and with a nice out-of-focus character. As for light falloff and soft corners, well, maybe, but I can't say I've noticed personally. I'm just not a pixel peeper. Also, I think that guy Ken Rockwell is kind of a goof, on purpose, and I expect that he's meant to be taken with a grain of salt.

What does Bjorn think of the lens?

-Laura

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well if its the chrome one keh is selling one in ex cond for a little over $400.00 dollars ! The lens was reviewed in pop photo mag some years ago along with ( i believe ) a nikon body and received one of there highest ratings! It is supposed to be an excellent lens.Don

Shooter
    35mm
    Here's one. I've shot the last roll with this awkward little thing ;-) Microcontrast / apparent sharpness seems to be definitely on a high side. No flare at all. If it only was faster... and bit easier to focus with - that midget ring just hurts me fingers...

EDIT - ooops... APUG seems to chew the images to some kinda pulp... this: http://alkos.info/wp/wp-content/uplo.../10/970_03.jpg should be better.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by darinwc View Post
    I just picked up a Nikkor 45mm f2.8 P Pancake at a local shop.
    I have never heard of it before so I did a quick web search.

The top result was a review by Ken Rockwell that pretty much trashed it.
    However, from reading into what he was saying, I was pretty exited about it.
    He said that it had some light falloff and was soft in the corners. but I read that as having 'character' that could be put to good use.

Unfortunately, I was dissapointed with the examples on flikr and pbase, they did not seem to take advantage of the lens. Either that, or the lenses character is too subtle to really notice.

Does anyone have any pics from the lens they could share?
    What do you APUG'ers think about it?
    One thing's for sure, I wouldn't base my decision on anything I've seen on Flickr. It's just a bunch of people posting pictures. Some are gifted, some not; and we all know that in clumsy hands, even the best equipment can produce inferior results. Conversely, crappy gear can produce outstanding results in gifted hands.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    35mm
    "Unfortunately, I was dissapointed with the examples on flikr and pbase"

Hmm, missed this one before. My question is: what did you expect, i.e. in relation to 50/1.8 lens?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Essentially a Tessar design, with the advantages and disadvantages that involves....

Basically, it seems overpriced for what it delivers and ergonomics seem a bit akward. But if size/weight is a primary concern, then it could shine. In any case, enjoy it!
    (But then that goes for any decent/good lens)
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    35mm
    Funny you should ask...

On my coffee table at home is a Popular Photography issue from 2003 or 2004 IIRC which has that lens on the new Nikon FM3A on the cover. They rave about the lens. I have Pentax's 40mm DA pancake lens and it's one of my all-time favorite lenses, and I believe all pancake lenses use a similar base design. They are known for outstanding sharpness.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just the other day got a 45mm f/2 MD Rokkor that I can use with my Nikons with an adaptor. It's oustanding!

Shooter
    35mm
    I had this lens, bought it new in around 2006 and it quickly became my main lens. Really small - maybe too small if you have large hands or fat fingers. I would sometimes miss the focus barrel and turn the aperture dial when my eye was to the viewfinder. For me the benefit of the lens was its size, it really is small and also light, no problem carrying an FM2 and that lens all day. I can't comment on 'quality' of the images more than to say my prints looked just as nice as the ones from other lenses.

It appears to have 'cult' status as I was able to sell my one on ebay at the start of this year for only a little less than I bought it for. I then got a 35/1.4 Nikkor, huge in comparison - that lens didn't stay with me for long and was traded for a Leica M4-P.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin