Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,871   Posts: 1,583,330   Online: 1106

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Am I CRAZY ??

Shooter
    35mm
    Well, it depends what you paid for the lens itself and therefor the overall cost. If that total is worthwhile to you to get a reliable and fully-working lens which you can enjoy and use to advantage, I don't think it matters and it's certainly not crazy to pay for a good cla.

And, Vivitar is a very good independent make.

There is a lot of good analogue equipment about just now for silly-low prices, and so long as an item is basically sound it can be really good value even allowing for a good cla.
    Last edited by railwayman3; 10-29-2009 at 02:19 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Here's whatcha do...

Quote Originally Posted by jime11 View Post
    How crazy is it to spend 3X what you paid for a lens for a cla?

I bought one with "no return" privelges !!
    It looks good -the glass looks perfect & the lens body only has a tiny amount of paint loss. I think this will be a good lens after the sticky appeture leaves are freed up. Seller said it had been in storage for a while.

The lens is a Vivitar Series 1 28-90 f2.8-3.5 for Minolta md mount.
    Slather that lens with a generous amount of Vaseline and return it to the seller with a simple note that reads: HAVE FUN!
    "A certain amount of contempt for the material employed to express an idea is indispensable to the purest realization of this idea." Man Ray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    To help put this into perspective...

Is it a lens that you would seriously consider investing CLA money in if you had owned it and used it for several years?

A CLA'd lens is a known quantity. A used lens available from a third party, even if accurately described, is not.

Matt

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for all the input.
    I put it in the mail to Havel Camera in San Antonio for a cla.
    I have some other Series 1 lenses for the X700 but this one is going on my XG-M & will be the only lens I use for that camera.
    I've been using a small bag with a lot of stuff in it as a to go bag but will start giving the XG-M a work out instead of my back (from hauling the bag around)
    I will be selling the Vivitar 35-70 3.5 that is currently on the XG-M as the new lens is its' replacement.
    Thanks again for all the comments pro & con.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mopar_guy View Post
    I just had a shutter for my Speed Graphic CLA'd. At the same time some parts were required to get the 'M' synch to work. I could have "won" a whole other lens and shutter off of eBay for less than the repair cost but guess what? The replacement would also need a CLA. Now I have a shutter that will work properly. I intend to use this camera. I have every reason to believe that I will get decades more service out of my Speed Graphic if I continue to do maintenance. If you want to have a Professional quality camera, you will have to take care of it. Ebay is filled with nice cameras that would work for a while and then die from neglect.
    CLA of quality lens/shutters for such cameras and view cameras is, virtually, always worth the cost.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Is it worth the trouble for a Vivitar lens?
    Bingo.

Minolta is known for good glass. I don't mean to start any smarmy, pointless flame-wars on the topic, but why do anything if not well. The money spent could have been used on Rokkor glass, and I doubt anyone would dispute its superior quality.

Shooter
    35mm
    It's always a gamble to use any "aging" piece of equipment. My wife tells me that all the time.

I recently bought a "mint" Canon AE-1 that turned out to have many problems. So I bought another one from Joe Careta, this one CLA'd and overhauled with a warranty. I sent him the broken body and he's going to overhaul that one for me. I'll end up with 2 AE-1 bodies that I can rely on to take good pictures for quite a while. My $57 "mint" camera is now two working cameras for a total of $225. Is that worth it? It is when I go to take a picture of my kids, and I know if I miss the shot it's my fault, not a camera malfunction.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    35mm
    I've used the Viv S-1 28-90, professionally for over two+ decades. It delivers!

KK

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't think you're crazy at all, I just spent a fortune in getting my three Canon FD body's a 35mm f2 lens and a Mamiya C330F CLAd probably much more than they would fetch if I sold them on the open market, it would have been cheaper to replace them on eBay, but these have been my tools for more than twenty years, and I'm very attached to them, I know where they've been, I know they haven't been dropped, or subject to ham fisted repairs by amateurs, and when I get them all back I hope I can look forward to many more years enjoyment from them.
    Ben

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I just paid around $350 to recement a badly hazed Hugo Meyer double anastigmat--I bought it for 89.00 on the ebay. I am almost 100% positive it was not a financially sound decision. Do I regret it--nope. Can't wait to throw it on the 8x10.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin