Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,913   Posts: 1,556,260   Online: 867

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Am I CRAZY ??

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jime11 View Post
    How crazy is it to spend 3X what you paid for a lens for a cla?

I bought one with "no return" privelges !!
    It looks good -the glass looks perfect & the lens body only has a tiny amount of paint loss. I think this will be a good lens after the sticky appeture leaves are freed up. Seller said it had been in storage for a while.

The lens is a Vivitar Series 1 28-90 f2.8-3.5 for Minolta md mount.
    hi jime11

you obviously aren't paying enough for your lenses!

john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Corneau View Post
    Bingo.

Minolta is known for good glass. I don't mean to start any smarmy, pointless flame-wars on the topic, but why do anything if not well. The money spent could have been used on Rokkor glass, and I doubt anyone would dispute its superior quality.
    Just to set the record straight,I have no axe to grind in this matter but one of the reasons that the Vivitar series 1 range of optics was so successful was they were making a range of lenses that had a much more advanced specification than any of the marque lenses of any major camera manufacturers were producing, by using the best computer technology that Silicon Valley had to offer to design them, and contracting good Japanese optical firms to make them.
    I sold these lenses when they were current, and if you look at the specification of the Series 1 range you will see that, not Nikon, Minolta, Canon, Pentax or anybody else was making anything like them at that time.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 11-01-2009 at 04:04 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    One of the reasons that the Vivitar series 1 range of optics was so successful was they were making a range of lenses that had a much more advanced specification than any of the marque lenses of any major camera manufacturers were producing, I sold these lenses when they were new and no one was making a quality 28-90 f2.8-3.5 zoom in those days .
    Vivitar Series 1 lenses were also a great improvement over the previous Vivitar lenses.

I know, I bought the old style about three months before the Series 1 came out!

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Vivitar Series 1 lenses were also a great improvement over the previous Vivitar lenses.

I know, I bought the old style about three months before the Series 1 came out!

Steve
    I know Steve, the Series 1 range had lenses like the 28-105 f2.8-f3.8 zoom, the 35-85 f2.8 varifocal, the 28-90 f2.8-3.5 zoom and a 70-210 f2.8-3.5 zoom with 1:2 macro capability, lenses with specs. that other makers could only dream about in those days that were mechanically and optically excellent, the only drawback is they are very heavy.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 11-01-2009 at 05:13 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well - I got my first roll back from Duane's Friday. I think this is a good lens & well worth the cla.

160nc - Minolta XGm - Vivitar 28-90 2.8/3.5

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...165NEG0016.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...165NEG0021.jpg
    "If you look at a thing nine hundred and ninety-nine times, you are perfectly safe; if you look at it the thousandth time, you are in frightful danger of seeing it for the first time." G.K.Chesterton

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin