Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,518   Posts: 1,543,745   Online: 864

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Rebuilding Canon Motor Drive MA Ni-Cd pack

My Motor Drive MA Ni-Cd battery pack is no longer functional. Bad batteries, I'm sure. I've been looking around for replacements, but am having trouble finding them. I'm pretty sure they are 1.2V cells (a total of 12 in the pack) and they are soldered in series. The batteries have a slightly smaller diameter than AA batteries, but only 1-1/8" long (including the + pole). Does anyone know of a US supplier of such batteries? I think I'd prefer NiMH instead of Ni-Cd if they're available and if the charger would be compatible.

TIA.
    Last edited by Tony-S; 11-01-2009 at 12:41 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: diameter fix

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I thought of rebuilding mine, but ended up selling it off for parts and bought the regular battery pack, which is a little bulkier than the Ni-Cd pack, but at least the batteries are easily replaceable. I bought it new several years ago from the ill-reputed Cambridge Camera, but at least I could walk in the store, hold the battery pack in my hand, and give them the cash, so there was no risk of the goods going astray. I wouldn't be surprised if they still had some new ones in the original box. They seem to keep stuff warehoused forever, but buyer beware.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    EDIT: Google has been helpful - it looks like these are what I need. The question is whether they'd be ok with the MA battery charger?

OK, a little more investigating. These look most closely like 'N' size batteries (30mm x 12mm). So I guess that's what I'd be looking for.

David - thanks for that info; I believe I'd like to repair this one if possible.
    Last edited by Tony-S; 11-01-2009 at 12:54 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    You need to measure the size of your batteries carefully, many sizes are almost the same but not quite. I have successfully rebuild the MN-2 pack for the Nikon F3 motor drive. I used NiMH instead of the original NiCad and the pack last over twice as long but it also takes twice as long to charge it with the same old charger.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I came across a web article that said that if the charger is dedicated to NiCd that it could damage NiMH batteries if you leave them on longer (i.e., trickle charge damages the cells). I'd much prefer NiMH since they have a higher mAh, but I'm concerned about potential damage to the cells. Also, are there alternatives to spot welding them? I wish they could just be soldered.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    It's also sometimes possible to revive nicad cells by shocking them from a storage battery. I've done it successfully with a 12v battery pack for a portable drill. If you want to try it, I can describe the details.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was wondering if anybody has tried to rebuild or replace the motor that runs this drive ? Or is it just something to leave in my photography junk drawer? Yes I know they are sold very cheap. That is why I have 3 of them.
    (Actually I have 5 of them 2 yes and 3 not so much ! )
    Last edited by dances_w_clouds; 11-01-2009 at 11:56 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Shiu View Post
    It's also sometimes possible to revive nicad cells by shocking them from a storage battery. I've done it successfully with a 12v battery pack for a portable drill. If you want to try it, I can describe the details.

Jon
    There are also special chargers that "recycle/refresh" cells by charging and discharging them repeatedly until their capacity no longer increases.

That involves removing the individual cells in your case.

I have had very good results bringing apparently dead NiCd and NiMh cells back to usable life.
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    35mm
    You should be able to solder them. Put them side by side, and solder them together with a thin sheet of metal. Then you bend the thin sheet in half so the cells are end to end instead of side by side. This is how most rc car stick packs and airsoft battery packs are made. If you have enough room you can use copper braid instead.

You can also solder them directly together but it isn't easy. You make a jig that lets the batteries slide up and down but remain perfectly aligned. Tin both batteries. Use a hammerhead soldering iron tip that is shaped like a sledge hammer. Put the tip between the cells, push them together, as soon as the solder melts on both cells pull out the iron and push the cells together as quickly as possible. Upside to this method is that there is less electrical resistance. The downside is that it is difficult to do, as well as undo. Pretty much not worth it for a camera battery pack.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The link you gave says the cells are "easily solderable"
    Shouldn't be that hard to make or buy a different charger, RC markets have dozens of varieties available.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin