Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,952   Posts: 1,557,968   Online: 1045

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Meter Will Not Turn Off--Please Help

I am enjoying my new (to me) Nikkormat EL-W. However, it seems that the camera's light meter never turns off. With the AW-1 winder attached, the meter is supposed to turn off when the shutter release lever lock is switched to the off position. I have noticed that even with the lever switched off, the black needle still goes up and down (depending upon lighting) in the same manner as it would when turned on. Thus, it appears to be metering light at all times. I gather my battery will be dead soon. Have I missed anything here?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good morning;

It is not clear that this is directly applicable, but my Nikomat FTn works only when the film advance lever on the top right side of the body is pulled back just a little; about 30 degrees. When the lever is pushed back in to the full rest position, the light meter in mine does not work. Nippon Kogaku does have a tradition of doing something in a similar way with most of the various versions of their models.
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just read the manual, it says" ensure the meter switch around the shutter release is off and the winding lever is off, If you have done this and the meter is still on the camera needs repairing .
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks...I agree: it needs to be repaired. This is bad news. It is bad news because while KEH is willing to try to repair it, there is no guarantee that they will have the necessary parts. I doubt they will have the parts. I will just end up being without the camera for a few weeks. They will call and ask if I want an exchange or refund.

Any other suggestions out there? I found some on-line comments about Robert Decker. He is/was some type of Nikon meter expert. I sent him an e-mail on Friday, but have not gotten a response yet. Are there any other good Nikon repairmen...one who will be able to fix the meter and have the necessary part or parts?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you take the battery out and you use a handheld meter you should be all set until you find a place to do the proper repair....
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by FilmOnly View Post
    Thanks...I agree: it needs to be repaired. This is bad news. It is bad news because while KEH is willing to try to repair it, there is no guarantee that they will have the necessary parts. I doubt they will have the parts. I will just end up being without the camera for a few weeks. They will call and ask if I want an exchange or refund.

Any other suggestions out there? I found some on-line comments about Robert Decker. He is/was some type of Nikon meter expert. I sent him an e-mail on Friday, but have not gotten a response yet. Are there any other good Nikon repairmen...one who will be able to fix the meter and have the necessary part or parts?
    Keep a lens cap on when you don't use it (and maybe take out the batteries when it won't be used for a long time): It won't be any different from the Pentax K1000 which so many people reccomend as the "ideal" learner camera....
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    35mm
    Ektagraphic: If I take the battery out, the camera will revert to "M90" mode--i.e. the shutter will fire, but all shots will be taken at 1/90th of a second. The same occurs when there is a dead battery in the battery chamber.

Rol lei Nut: I have thought of what you have suggested. My Pentax Spotmatic F had the type of meter that shuts off only when the lens cap is applied. Do you think the meter would draw no power with the cap on, or might it draw a tiny amount of power?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by FilmOnly View Post
    Rol lei Nut: I have thought of what you have suggested. My Pentax Spotmatic F had the type of meter that shuts off only when the lens cap is applied. Do you think the meter would draw no power with the cap on, or might it draw a tiny amount of power?
    Can't say: The K1000 (and Spotmatic F), having a completely manual shutter and a CdS meter, has pratically zero battery drain with a lens cap on.

Can't recall what cell the EL uses and if the electronic shutter (or the attached motor) introduce any extra drain sources.

If your EL is otherwise sound, I'd try seeing how long the batteries effectively last with a little care and balance that against the cost of a repair....
    (not ideal, of course one wants one's cameras to be in perfect working order, but sometimes reality dictates things a bit)
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    35mm
    Yes, the camera is otherwise sound. The EL-W uses a 6-volt battery. I have decided to wait and see what happens (as you have suggested).

Shooter
    35mm RF
    My Nikon guide says that to turn off the meter, you must push in the film advance so that it's flush against the body AND rotate the collar around the shutter release fully clockwise.

Are you sure that you're doing it correctly?

Otherwise, take the battery out when you're not using it. I have a Nikon EL-2, and it's an incredible battery hog, draining the batteries dry within a day or two. The EL, EL-W and EL-2 takes a rather costly L544, so I simply remove the battery.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin