Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,851   Posts: 1,582,866   Online: 878

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Exposure Compensation on Nikon FM10 - Please Help!

Hey guys!

I have a mint Nikon FM10, but I can't figure out how to do Exposure Compensation +/- on it. I can only adjust the shutter speed and aperture by 1 whole stop at a time (for ex. it will just from 1/60 up to 1/125 or down to 1/30).

I sure would love to be able to stop down or open up by at least 1/2-stop, and not the whole stop if I don't need to.

Maybe I could use a 1/2-stop ND filter and open up 1-stop?? Please give me some suggestions.

Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Use the aperture for compensation instead of the shutter?
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnywalker View Post
    Use the aperture for compensation instead of the shutter?
    I would, but the aperture ring also snaps into full-stop increments. Someone told me that I can set the aperture ring in between 2 values to get a 1/2-stop difference, but please confirm if true.

Also, I heard that I can compensate for exposure using the camera's ISO setting, which varies by 1/3-stops. Not sure if it would work, because in reality the film inside the camera doesn't change...... so I will try that and see how it works.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My Nikon ais Nikon lenses will stop anywhere between the full aperture stops, not sure about the lens you have on the camera but it should work. And yes, you can use the ISO setting for the film to adjust. Just remember to put it back when you're finished. I think adjusting the aperture would be your best bet. In other words, you should be able to adjust the aperture to 1/2 or even 1/3 stops.
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Shooter
    35mm
    Why not just change the ASA (like johnnywalker said) to whatever you want? I mean if you want +1 exposure, and your film ASA is 100, set it to 50 and you'll get double the light.
    Last edited by Wolfeye; 11-03-2009 at 12:21 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Johnny said it first
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes you can set values between click stops for your 1/2 stops.
    Just change the ISO setting by the desired correction if you want the entire film changed or set it back if you want only one or two frames changed. The intermediate lines are 1/3 ISO(stop) changes. By changing the ISO you're telling the camera what you want to do. The film doesn't change the exposure does.
    For example, if you have 400 speed in the camera in the camera & want your negative to be more dense change the ISO to a slower speed. 1/3 stop would be 320, 2/3 stop 250.
    Same thing if you want under exposure except you go the other way 400-500-640
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    Hi, changing the ISO for compensation only works on cameras with auto-exposure, as I think you have already figured out.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    35mm

Not exactly

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Shiu View Post
    Hi, changing the ISO for compensation only works on cameras with auto-exposure, as I think you have already figured out.

Jon
    Even with manual cameras. Let's say the ASA 100 film says you need 1/60 and f8. If you change the ASA to 50, leaving the aperture alone results in a required shutter speed of 1/30, or, +1.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    Yes, but remember, the whole point of this is he is trying to get 1/2 stop compensation and that is why some suggest using the ISO dial to adjust, which as I pointed out will not work with a fully manually adjusted camera.

Jon
    Last edited by Jon Shiu; 11-03-2009 at 01:58 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Shiu View Post
    Yes, but remember, the whole point of this is he is trying to get 1/2 stop compensation and that is why some suggest using the ISO dial to adjust, which as I pointed out will not work with a fully manually adjusted camera.
    Jon
    ???

Of course for experienced users, adjusting the aperture or the shutter speed (on those few lovely cameras which allow manual intermediate speeds ) directly for a 1/2 stop compensation is preferable.

But I don't understand why you claim that ISO adjustment won't work on a manual camera...
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin