Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,946   Posts: 1,585,858   Online: 1044

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by FilmOnly View Post
    If the FE2 had been made to accept non-AI lenses, I may have opted for the FE2 (the 1/250th is nice).
    Non-AI lenses can be used on the FE via stop down metering. Before
    mounting the Non-AI lens be sure to flip up the coupling tab located at
    2:00 on the camera's lens mount. Press the nearby button and lift it
    up. Stopping down the lens is done with the lever on the camera beside
    the lens mount. Also, be sure to flip the coupling tab back down before
    mounting AI or later lenses. This goes for the Nikon FM too and some
    other models but not the FM2 or FE2 which have no flip-up tab.

As far as the FE's top plate or top deck is concerned, I had (according to what I have read) thought that both the top and bottom plates of the FE are metal. Can anyone verify this?
    Yes, they are both metal.

Also, when the MD-11 or MD-12 is attached, the "on/off" switch of the drive unit actuates the meter, right? Thus, would this also disable the flush position advance lever lock?
    The meter on the FE can be used with the MD both on or off but
    turning on the meter is different for each case. With the MD off
    the meter is turned on in the usual way as if no MD were attached
    (by pulling out the film advance lever). If the MD is turned on the
    film advance lever should be pushed in against the body and a light
    press on the shutter release will turn on the meter.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thanks for the information...I am concerned about what you indicate in regard to the MD-12 being hard on the FE body. I plan on using the MD-12 all the time. I hope this does not bring about problems.

Nikon apparently warned against using the FE with an MD-12 in continuous mode as it could lead to premature failure of the film advance mechanism in the FE (which is exactly what happened to one of my dead FE bodies). See this thread for more discussion of this...

Shooter
    35mm
    I appreciate the link. I see that problems may occur if the MD-12 is used in continuous mode at lower speeds. I am glad that it seems that it should be fine otherwise.

I have been considering an F3. I gather the F3's gearing would be superior?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The F3 gearing is practically immortal.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I appreciate the link. I see that problems may occur if the MD-12 is used in continuous mode at lower speeds. I am glad that it seems that it should be fine otherwise.

I have been considering an F3. I gather the F3's gearing would be superior?
    The F3 was a professional body whereas the FE was a consumer body...so, it seems reasonable that F3 might have a significantly stronger gear train than the FE (for example) but, i have no evidence to support or refute that hypothesis.

Shooter
    35mm
    My FE/MD-12 arrived this morning. Both are very nice. The FE is even more compact than I had thought (though bulk is not a big issue for me). The controls are nicely arranged, and the camera appears to be well-made.

With regard to the plastic vs. metal issue, I was looking at the bottom edge of the top plate (with the film door open) and thought that it looked more like a plastic plate than a metal plate. It seemed very similar to that of my AE-1 Program, and that camera has a plastic top plate for sure. Also, neither the top nor the bottm plate seemed "cold" enough to be metal. Usually, metal feels colder. Perhaps appearances are deceiving in this case?

Anyway, the camera and drive will be pressed into action shortly.

Shooter
    35mm
    The FE handles nicely with the MD-12. Also, I did notice a certain coldness on the camera's plates. It was about 50 degrees (F) outside, and the top plate is still somewhat cold after being inside for about 15 minutes. Hence, I gather the plates are, indeed, metal.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin