Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,957   Posts: 1,586,094   Online: 1054

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee L View Post
    My understanding is that WalMart sends all transparency film to Dwayne's through Fuji. I'm not sure how closely they watch for frame spacing shifts in mid-roll. They do run a lot of film, and I've been happy with their quality since starting to shoot slides again in the last year or two.

I send to Dwaynes through a local drug store chain's Fuji pickup. My K-14 and E-6 is $5.99 for 36 exposures there from the same lab and courier as WalMart, and they're only 2 miles away, half a mile closer than WalMart.

Lee
    they do fine.
    i have sent them film like that countless times
    and never had a problem.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    they do fine.
    and never had a problem.
    Good to know. Thanks.

I have a roll of E-6 that my son tore out of the cassette with the film advance. I've been procrastinating about sending it in because of concerns over possible mishandling, even with clear instructions. I'll go ahead and send it. Everything I've sent to Dwayne's so far has been straightforward, except that I sometimes get 38 frames on a 36 roll, and they've done better with that than any lab since Kodak before they spun off Qualex.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jphendren View Post
    "Also, reloading can sometimes be a problem with transparency film, depending on the lab. Some automated cutters don't check frame spacing, and some operators don't pay a lot of attention."
    Jared
    I've very (very) often swapped film out, also between very different camera brands, with no problem at all.
    I always do advance +2 though (for safety).

Also never had a problem with the lab cutting my slide (or negative) in the wrong place (actually, it did happen once, but not on a swapped out film).
    YMMV....

Cameras with frame counters that count down while rewinding make the process even easier.
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Get a MF system with separate/multiple backs

Shooter
    35mm
    "they do fine.
    and never had a problem."

That is good to know. On the EOS-1V, there is an orange mark on the camera body that you pull the film to before closing the camera back, so the film should be loaded exactly the same every time.

On a side note; does anybody know if you can drop Kodachrome off at Wal-Mart?

"Get a MF system with separate/multiple backs"

I'd love a Hasselblad, but the lenses are expensive.

Jared

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jphendren View Post
    On a side note; does anybody know if you can drop Kodachrome off at Wal-Mart?
    Yes. They have a contract with Fuji, which closed its US labs and subcontracts with Dwaynes. So Kodachrome goes in with the courier and is processed and mounted in cardboard mounts, impression stamped (no ink) with frame numbers and month/year (e.g. OCT 09), and is returned in a decent black plastic box to your local store. Much cheaper than mail in prices at Dwayne's, and no postage.

Don't bother asking the clerk, who may not know. Just put it in the 'off premises' envelopes, mark the special instructions checkbox and write something like Kodachrome or K-14 beside the checkbox. Drop it in the slot with the other film.

Lee

Shooter
    35mm
    "Don't bother asking the clerk, who may not know. Just put it in the 'off premises' envelopes, mark the special instructions checkbox and write something like Kodachrome or K-14 beside the checkbox. Drop it in the slot with the other film."

Cool!! Thanks for the information. I have 4 rolls of Professional Kodachrome 64 on the way, and was not sure where to get it processed. Back in my younger days, I use to drop off Kodachrome 64 at Wal-Mart and they came back in "Kodalux" boxes.

Jared

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin