Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,677   Posts: 1,482,029   Online: 893

Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Brutus (my EOS1N+PDBE1) + TS-E lens = 2.58kg
    Zero Image pinhole = 360gm (!)

What does as Hasselblad 503cx weigh with 80mm (?) T* Planar? Trying to think of a photographer I met some time back who complained bitterly of carting that camera around in his rucksack (with camping gear too) with a flexbody attached... Probably around the same as 'Brutus' (which does not come on overnight walks)?
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

One beautiful image is worth
    a thousand hours of therapy.

"It is horrifying that we have to fight our own government
    to save the environment."
    .::Ansel Adams

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    One thing I've learned from shooting a variety of formats is to use each format for what each it does best, and it's hard to know what 35mm does really well before you've had a chance to shoot medium or large format. I've tried some bird photography with medium and even large format, for instance, and often it just isn't worth doing, because there are so few situations where you can get an interesting shot without a long fast lens, a focal plane shutter, and a small format. On the other hand, I've discovered that wide lenses are more interesting on larger formats, because 35mm often doesn't have enough resolution to render all the information that a wide lens can take in, unless the composition is fairly simple.

Then there are other issues about what you can do best with an SLR, rangefinder, TLR, or a view camera, that are separate from questions of format size.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    because 35mm often doesn't have enough resolution to render all the information that a wide lens can take in, unless the composition is fairly simple.
    It doesn't? Definitely not the case with my images, David. And the best art is that which has simple composition devoid of clutter and makes the best use of the chosen format i.e. "fit the subject to the frame", not the frame to the subject. Much of the LF work I see contains so much unallocated space and edge clutter; it's not used optimally. NO denying though if you want to go from big to bigger to biggest (mural size), LF is the way to go, but I'd still much prefer better, more optimal use of the huge additional space rather than have distracting blank swathes, messy edges and overall poor composition.

I agree many other issues separate from this that suit SLRs and view cameras, but the same comments apply to framing optimally with no waste.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    On the other hand, I've discovered that wide lenses are more interesting on larger formats, because 35mm often doesn't have enough resolution to render all the information that a wide lens can take in, unless the composition is fairly simple.
    I can go wider with my 35mm lenses [20mm] than I can with my Hasselblad 903 however not 35mm camera lens can compare with the 903 in rectilinear renditions of the scene. Edited: Added Example Below take with the Hasselblad 903 SWC, scanned negative, no adjustments made.

Steve
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Century City 002.jpg  
    Last edited by Sirius Glass; 11-16-2009 at 06:26 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    35mm is about convenience and speed. If toting medium or large format gear and working at a slower pace are not problems, then the larger negative will always produce superior results. Of course the content of a photo can be of little value in any format; but presumably this thread is about technical quality, not artistic quality.
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Chazzy,
    Technical quality as well as conceptual/artistic quality go hand-in-hand in professional practice. It's something drummed into you in art school (well, at least here!).

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    It doesn't?
    Depends what you're intentions are of course, but textures are different with different formats, and the relation of the part to the whole depends on how clearly one can render the part. Joel Meyerowitz, for instance, said that he shot his Ground Zero project in 8x10", because the larger format is simply a better tool for description of detail on an absolute level, and I would say that is true even with small prints, where you're trying to depict an immense subject and show what is happening at the same time on a human scale. Burtynsky works this way as well, where you might first see a vast industrial landscape, and then realize that there are people in the landscape, and you can see in some detail what they are doing. I had this revelation myself some years ago making photographs in a market square with an ultrawide 120mm lens on 8x10", and looking over the contact print with a loupe, I could find all these little mini-narratives going on that described the life of the market square, and I couldn't have done that with a small format.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The main reasons have been mentioned of course, but there can be another IMO. The difference in DOF (and DOFocus) can sometimes be an advantage in 35mm. Generally speaking, you can also "get a shot" easier in low light in 35mm - slower shutter speeds, more DOF at a given aperture. I know there a plently of MF RFers that can be handheld at slower speeds, but not as much as in the smaller format.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have no reason to record the world I see at 1/60 @ f/32. That is the World of The Obvious.
    At 1/60 @ f/2, you are walking in the Realm of the Sacred, and every moment is a chance to peer into Eternity.
    I shoot 8x10 to fart around. My Leica is for REAL pictures.

Technical quality as well as conceptual/artistic quality go hand-in-hand in professional practice. It's something drummed into you in art school (well, at least here!).

Garyh: I suggest you get a refund as soon as possible.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You have to pick youre camera type to the images you need to make. A lot of the time i would prefer to use a mf camera but couldn"t because its just to difficult to get the the images with anything but a 35mm camera. Dont forget that 35mm is capable of amazing quality if used correctly. Also keeping your'e photographs a bit smaller helps a lot. Don

Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin