Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,681   Posts: 1,548,512   Online: 818

View Poll Results: Which one will you buy if you already have a KM..the KX or the K2?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • K2

4 14.29%
  • KX

18 64.29%
  • Neither, just stick with the KM

6 21.43%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

I can only buy one camera this month - KX or K2?

Hello all! My wife and my shrinking budget for this month means I can only buy one camera over the next 30 days, haha. So please help me choose between an Asahi Pentax KX or an Asahi Pentax K2. Let me know which one you will go for and why. If possible, also provide a rough estimate of how much one in good working condition should cost.

I already have an Asahi Pentax KM, and I love it. However the temptation of the KX's shutter sound and shutter speed & aperture displayed in the VF is too much for me. However, I wonder if upgrading from a KM to a KX is worth it..does the shutter speed & aperture display in the VF justify purchasing it?

I am more severely tempted by the K2, seems to me that the vertical metal focal plane shutter is more robust than the cloth on the KM & KX, and I read somewhere the shutter sound of the K2 is simply sublime. The K2 is more full featured as well..and mirror lock up ability, full manual or Auto Aperture Priority exposure too! BUT therein lies the rub, all the electronics governing the electronic shutter & the K2's dependence on batteries makes me a bit nervous. How well & how long does the electronics last?

So guys, please help me out, I need to decide in 3 days..thanks in advance!

-A guy who is desperately staving off GAS

Shooter
    35mm
    erm If you don't mind what make of camera, the world is open to you..........me? I'll use anything as it's the lens that counts (well and the photographer).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I must be really deprived I've only bought two cameras in twenty five years
    Ben

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by altair View Post
    Hello all! My wife and my shrinking budget for this month means I can only buy one camera over the next 30 days, haha. So please help me choose between an Asahi Pentax KX or an Asahi Pentax K2. Let me know which one you will go for and why. If possible, also provide a rough estimate of how much one in good working condition should cost.

I already have an Asahi Pentax KM, and I love it. However the temptation of the KX's shutter sound and shutter speed & aperture displayed in the VF is too much for me. However, I wonder if upgrading from a KM to a KX is worth it..does the shutter speed & aperture display in the VF justify purchasing it?

I am more severely tempted by the K2, seems to me that the vertical metal focal plane shutter is more robust than the cloth on the KM & KX, and I read somewhere the shutter sound of the K2 is simply sublime. The K2 is more full featured as well..and mirror lock up ability, full manual or Auto Aperture Priority exposure too! BUT therein lies the rub, all the electronics governing the electronic shutter & the K2's dependence on batteries makes me a bit nervous. How well & how long does the electronics last?

So guys, please help me out, I need to decide in 3 days..thanks in advance!

-A guy who is desperately staving off GAS
    I have all three of these (and often seem to end up saying things about them!)

As you say, the K2 has MLU, but so does the KX. The shutter sound of the K2 is ...errrr.... distinctive. It's an early electronic/metal shutter and isn't something you'd want to use in a quiet environment such as a theatre. The K2 is a great camera, a bit quirky with its fiddly ASA setting dial (that can't be altered if you're using exposure compensation) and shutter speeds to 8 secs. I'm sure I've said this before, but if I was going on a once in a lifetime trip I'd be wary of the K2's dependence on batteries and electronics and would undoubtedly opt to take the KX. In short - K2, interesting and quirky, KX conventional and dependable.

Now, then, what about the K2DMD ??????

Good luck with whichever you decide on!

Steve

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by altair View Post
    My wife and my shrinking budget for this month means I can only buy one camera over the next 30 days
    What a dilemna!

I would stick with the KM. I bought one for a friend last year. It's basically a K1000 with a DOF preview but at half the price as it doesn't have the K1000's cult status.

If funds are low, you should concentrate on collecting the lenses you need rather than duplicating the body.

Steve.
    Last edited by Steve Smith; 11-20-2009 at 04:22 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    I must be really deprived I've only bought two cameras in twenty five years
    That's far too sensible.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    What a dilemna!
    If funds are low, you should concentrate on collecting the lenses you need rather than duplicating the body.

Steve.
    That's pretty sensible as well!
    Both the KM and K1000 infuriate me (well, annoy me a bit, I suppose) with their daft system of having to replace the lens cap or close the case to switch off the meter. (The KX has a "proper" switch activated by the film advance lever and shutter release). The only time I ever want to put a lens cap on a lens is when I sling it back into the gadget bag along with the sandwich crumbs, fluff and other detritis!

Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm happy with the cameras I have and use. I am a photographer, not a camera collector.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K View Post
    I am a photographer, not a camera collector.
    I'm both.... but I only buy a camera if I intend to use it.

Steve.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K View Post
    I'm happy with the cameras I have and use. I am a photographer, not a camera collector.
    Well I select the lens and get the camera body to fit it e.g. An excellent viv macro was going very cheaply for Minolta and I didn't have a Minolta camera, no prob bought a X-700 and glad I did as it is a very nice camera.....once you have the common makes no more waiting for a lens to fit your camera, more choice and a chance of getting it cheaper.

OH and I always carry at least two cameras around, could be same makes or different.

All above works for me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin