Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,901   Posts: 1,555,802   Online: 790

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FilmOnly View Post
    Europe is shinking at an alarming rate, and, if the current trend continues there, Europe will not repopulate itself (as the continent is currently well below its repopulation rate).
    Well, as for the Netherlands, I can tell you the influx of immigrants, and the after effects of the baby-boom after WOII, combined with continuously increasing life expectancy, means we will still see a net growth of the number of people living here in the next one or two decades. Yes, the population ages, but that doesn't mean it's shrinking! And the pressure on land resources continuous. Even the elderly need homes...

And to be honest, I don't consider a few million less people (and cars and endless stretches of tarmac and concrete) here in the Netherlands a bad thing! Bly me, I can't wait for it... Viva la natura!

And after that: we'll just have to open up the flood gates. I have no doubts many people will want to join us here in Europe and the US...
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    With regard to the subject of overpopulation, the common contemporary hypothesis is gravely erroneous. The world is simply not becoming overpopulated. Europe is shinking at an alarming rate, and, if the current trend continues there, Europe will not repopulate itself (as the continent is currently well below its repopulation rate). The entire population of the earth could fit into the land area of the US, with plenty of room. Likewise, the entire population of the US could fit into the state of Texas, again with ample space. Here is an interesting discussion: http://economics.gmu.edu/wew/article...on-Control.htm

Yeah but, there is more to the problem than square feet per house, NYC sure as hell doesn't grow its own food or supply its own water or fuel. Here in the US we maintain a lavish, high energy consumption lifestyle by exploiting not only our own land mass, but that of many other countries, a source of some of our current problems.

I concur that thorium lenses are unlikely to be of major import in the general scheme of things. Glass and ceramics from earlier periods used uranium compounds to get interesting yellows too.

DaveT

Shooter
    35mm
    In terms of fostering and maintaining a sensible--and organic--system of agriculture, encouraging the wise use of God-given resources, and the importance of advancing the common good, I could not agree more.

Please review my post. My post simply states the facts in regard to the myth of overpopulation.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by budrichard View Post
    As a Nuclear Engineer I would not put too much confidence in your measurements unless you had a radioactive source to verify calibration/function of a GM device from the 1960's.
    In any event unless you grind up a lens containing a radioactive element and injest, there will be no harm from external exposure and since the glass will quickly pass through your digestive system, no quantifyable internal effects anyway.-Dick
    My eldest son is a physicist, and I asked him to look into the matter and he assured me there is no danger.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In terms of fostering and maintaining a sensible--and organic--system of agriculture, encouraging the wise use of God-given resources, and the importance of advancing the common good, I could not agree more.

Please review my post. My post simply states the facts in regard to the myth of overpopulation.
    Yeh, sure, I think the basic problem is though, that we haven't stated in what context we review "over-population". Sure enough, if we simply count the number of square meters a pair of average sized shoes takes up, we could even fit all the upcoming 9 billion expected soles on the post stamp size of the Netherlands...

Question is: is that a useful measure of over-population???
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In fact, I did a quick calculation: Since the Netherlands is about 33.883 km2 land surface, in 2050 or so when we hit 9 billion, you are all welcome to join me here in the Netherlands if I am still around... (and the country hasn't disappeared below sea level)

The good news: You can take your king sized bed with you! We will all have a whopping 3.76 square meter (eh,... +/- 42 square feet that is?) to ourselves!

Marco
    Last edited by Marco B; 11-23-2009 at 03:00 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    My website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Aren't we getting a little off the point ?, my remark about Lead lined boxer shorts was a Joke.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    Regarding Budrichard's comment, Yes, I believe many civilian defense geiger counters have a check source, to validate the geiger counter is functioning, including my CDV-700. I did check the source prior for gamma and beta readings. Regarding my comment about it being from the 60's.... I don't know that this is in fact true, as I see a web site that sells and calibrates my same detector. Though it appears they haven't changed the design, construction or components inside since the ~60's. Regardless, I'm comfortable with the accuracy of the information provided on the particular lenses I listed.

To others, if it wasn't clear, after a few minutes of research on the subject, I'm not concerned. I suspect there is some truth in what Sanguestu brought up regarding risk is with manufacturers. Interesting factoid gleened was that in addition to improved refractive properties lenses, another use that thorium is sought after a potentioal replacement for uranium nuclear reactors, due to reduced waste.

I did find it fascinating how a discussion on radioactive lenses could quickly lead to over population. Ben must have a reputation ;-)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Coleman stove lantern mantles contain thorium, too. When the lamp is first lit, the silk burns off, and a thorium oxide skeleton remains, which becomes incandescent in the gas flame.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    I would be interested to know how the 50/1.4 S tests on correctly functioning equipment. The brownish tint of the lens gives me pause.

I have one, and never really saw any image tint. Nice Super Takumar lens though. Here's a good shot of one;

http://vapour-trail.blogspot.com/200...50-mm-f14.html

Mine is connected to a POS Honeywell Pentax.
    * Just because your eyes are closed, doesn't mean the lights in the darkroom are off. *
    * When the film you put in the camera is worth more than the camera you put the film in... *
    * When I started using 8x10, it amazed me how many shots were close to the car. *

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin