Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,277   Posts: 1,534,846   Online: 750

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Konica Hexar

Shooter
    35mm
    I went to the local flea markets and junk shops today (about 10 in all) and I couldn't even find a Canon Sureshot.
    What a waste of time. And craigslist didn't help either
    Toledo Camera Trader and photojournalist

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSohnly View Post
    I went to the local flea markets and junk shops today (about 10 in all) and I couldn't even find a Canon Sureshot.
    What a waste of time. And craigslist didn't help either
    Well, since you are in a rush, why don't you trade me your Electro 35 kit for one of mine?

Seriously...You cannot expect to find everything you want in a thrift shop right off the bat. That is not how thrift shops work. They get in what they get in, whenever they happen to get it. It takes time and chance, and lots of tries. I don't know how many thrift shops I crawl constantly, and I have lucked out with decent, usable cameras perhaps a dozen times in my life, if that. Check E-Bay if you are in a rush. The ones like I am talking about go for $5 or less there; sometimes for 99 cents. Even after $5 or so for shipping, that is still cheap.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 11-29-2009 at 06:47 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    Well, I went to about 10 junk shops today and I figured that I would find SOMETHING of halfway decent quality that I could start with and move up eventually.
    Just me being too naive I guess. Reality check, if you will.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    What makes it a cult? Is it perception or does quality have anything to do with it?
    I love the wilderness and I love my trail cameras, all Fuji's! :) GA645, GW690 III, and the X100 which I think is the best trail camera ever invented (to date).

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Way View Post
    What makes it a cult? Is it perception or does quality have anything to do with it?
    I would assume that if people pay $100-$500 for a point and shoot film camera in 2009 on certain internet auction sites, that it would be a quality camera.
    I have seen pictures from most/all of the cameras said in this thread (by googleing the camera and finding a flickr group or something) and most produce great/usable results.

~Eye of the beholder
    ~Art is subjective
    ~etc

All I want is something quality that I can put in my pocket. My F100 is a great camera and all but it's too big/noisy to do the kind of shooting I would use this camera for.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I would assume that if people pay $100-$500 for a point and shoot film camera in 2009 on certain internet auction sites, that it would be a quality camera.
    I have seen pictures from most/all of the cameras said in this thread (by googleing the camera and finding a flickr group or something) and most produce great/usable results.

~Eye of the beholder
    ~Art is subjective
    ~etc

All I want is something quality that I can put in my pocket. My F100 is a great camera and all but it's too big/noisy to do the kind of shooting I would use this camera for.

Then I misunderstood this thread. If you want a super quality point and shooter I have one you might like. I'll sell it dirt cheep too because I don't need it. I have two point and shooters, a Voigtlander and a Minox. What I have and would sell is a Minox CD 128 DB. I am keeping the Voigtlander because it has a wider lens and I shoot lots of wide angle. This Minox has a Minoxar 38-128mm zoom. It has stellar optics.
    I love the wilderness and I love my trail cameras, all Fuji's! :) GA645, GW690 III, and the X100 which I think is the best trail camera ever invented (to date).

Shooter
    35mm
    Well, I went to about 10 junk shops today and I figured that I would find SOMETHING of halfway decent quality that I could start with and move up eventually.
    Just me being too naive I guess. Reality check, if you will.
    Shame you are in the US as I have the perfect mint cult camera:-
    http://www.gaspweb.co.uk/cameras/yashica_t5.html

Can reach up to £100 + on ebay, anyone interested in the UK would swop it for Canon fdn 24mm f2.8 or Nikon A1 24mm f2.8

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by EASmithV View Post
    Holga?

I consider the Rollei 35 a uncoupled rangefinder, not a point and shoot, but have it your way :P
    I'm not sure but no Rollei 35 (I've owned 3) has had any focus aid whatsoever they have all been purely guesstimate cameras....

Shooter
    35mm
    I'd like to cast a vote for a camera that I almost forgot we have: the Olympus Stylus 120. It's got an enormous - and stepless - zoom range for such a small 35mm camera (38-120mm) but I wish it went a little wider. The lens is slow, but sharp. It is definitely pocketable and makes great snaps on 200 speed film. It has a user-selectable spot meter (but autoexposure only of course). Some user reviews complain that the viewfinder is blurry - however, it has a diopter control which I suspect those reviewers aren't using. Nice little point and shoot. This and a Stylus Epic would be a great combination! There were a couple other models that were very similar, including the 105 which is almost identical to the 120, and the 100 which has a 28-100mm lens.
    Last edited by rthomas; 11-30-2009 at 05:46 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Added a detail or two...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin