Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,906   Posts: 1,521,421   Online: 1051

Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

"Cult" point-and-shoot cameras

Rollei 35, 35s, 35t, 35se, 35te, 35 classic
    Yashica T4, T4 super, T5
    Leica Minilux, Leica CM
    Contax T, T2, T3
    Nikon 35Ti, 28Ti
    Olympus XA, Olympus Stylus Epic
    Ricoh GR1

Am I missing anything serious from this list? I'm looking for something to bring along with me everyday now that my Olympus Trip 35 is in disrepair.
    Last edited by TheSohnly; 11-28-2009 at 05:48 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo's GALORE
    Toledo Camera Trader and photojournalist

Shooter
    35mm
    The Trip 35 is still available, as far as I know... I believe last year I bought the very last Stylus Epic B&H had in stock. Still haven't used it, it's a backup for my other Stylus Epic, but you're likely able to find them new or nearly new on eBay.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If you just want one camera, I'd say your list of candidates is more than good enough to work with. I sure can't think of any obvious candidate that isn't on it already.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    why not just get another Olympus trip...http://www.tripman.co.uk/

Shooter
    35mm
    Well I picked up the metal version of the Nikon L35ad for £1.50 and the results were excellent, it should be a cult camera.

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/n...ata/img333.jpg

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...ls/slr8283.htm

Shooter
    Medium Format
    how about an ultra wide & slim?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I think the little Pentax UC-1 (Espio in Europe) qualifies as a cult classic. I have one of each. The difference is that the UC-1 is silver and the Espio is black.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by pcooklin View Post
    why not just get another Olympus trip...http://www.tripman.co.uk/
    (for fear of internet backlash and flaming, i'm not knocking the trip 35 at all) I want something quality that can fit in my pockets easily without someone asking, "is that a camera in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?"

Quote Originally Posted by andresalegria
    how about an ultra wide & slim?
    I don't like the vingetting on the lens that I see in every picture, though it does look nice.

Quote Originally Posted by rosey
    I think the little Pentax UC-1 (Espio in Europe) qualifies as a cult classic. I have one of each. The difference is that the UC-1 is silver and the Espio is black.
    I'll put it on the list. It looks nice and it looks like it produces decent results.

The Olympus XA(1/2/3/4) and the Stylus Epic Deluxe seem to be the cheapest but expensive cameras are expensive for a reason, one would think.
    Toledo Camera Trader and photojournalist

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Holga?

I consider the Rollei 35 a uncoupled rangefinder, not a point and shoot, but have it your way :P
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would add the variety of Canon Sureshots to the list. Maybe not "cult" cameras, but likely the best image quality you will get in a $5 (or less!) thrift store camera. IME, they are best when used for static subject matter at the widest lens setting in good light with a very steady hand...like all P/S cameras, really.

Here is a decent example. It was shot using Fuji Superia 800 (Press). It is a 100% unchanged scan from the Noritsu at CVS. Not bad for an unmanipulated low-quality scan of a high-speed film, displayed at about 8x linear enlargement on the Web, though my handmade RA prints from this camera obviously look significantly better. This picture does not show it off, but the lens is sharp...especially when you load the camera with a slower film than Press 800 and print the pix yourself.

The pic was taken by my friend, who is not a "photographer", per se, using a Sureshot bought in a thrift shop in Joshua Tree, CA for $3. She fell in love with the pictures she was getting when borrowing mine, which I have had since new in the '90s, so I got her this thrift shop one. On this same trip, I also picked up another one for myself for $5 in a thrift shop in Lincoln Park, MI.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8266378...18719/sizes/l/

I am sure Nikon and some other companies made comparable cameras.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 11-28-2009 at 08:31 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: to add picture
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin